Compliance Monitoring Program Lead
New York, NY
Posted Aug 30, 2018 - Requisition No. 69635
Bloomberg’s Legal Department plays a critical role in supporting our businesses and operations around the world. We move quickly and thoughtfully to help address a variety of complex legal issues that come with being the world’s leading financial news and information company. Our team is made of up of talented and hardworking professionals who think creatively and work collaboratively in an open environment to deliver results, drive innovation, and solve difficult problems. We recognize the value of diversity and inclusion and the importance of giving back to our communities as evidenced by our award-winning pro bono program.
The Global Compliance team within Bloomberg’s Legal Department provides coverage of Bloomberg's regulated entities and products including support for Bloomberg's non-regulated products and services. We work to address regulatory issues, ensure compliance with current/developing rules and regulations, and correspond with regulators. Bloomberg has regulated activities that include regulated trading venues (e.g., UK Multilateral Trading Facility, US Swap Execution Facility), MIFID II benchmark activities, a US Broker/Dealer, and other regulated offerings globally. The Global Compliance team includes a Compliance Monitoring and Oversight function that has a broad coverage mandate which includes: maintaining relevant internal policies, reviewing product design and implementation, providing expert advice and guidance, delivering appropriate training, and conducting trade surveillance.
What’s The Role?
Bloomberg’s Americas Compliance team based in New York is looking for an experienced Compliance Officer to join its Compliance Monitoring Program (CMP) function and help lead the Americas program. The CMP provides compliance monitoring and testing for a variety of regulated businesses within the Americas region including Bloomberg's US Broker Dealer, US Swap Execution Facility, US financial news offerings, and others. A critical aspect of this role will be coordination and collaboration with the Compliance Monitoring leads for EMEA (based in London).
You will design and help conduct risk assessments, regulatory gap analysis, and monitoring/testing corresponding to the overall Compliance Monitoring Plan (CMP). You'll design and maintain CMP processes. You will have relevant Compliance experience in financial services regulation, in particular good knowledge of US and/or EU rules combined with an understanding of financial markets and products. Good communication and interpersonal skills are essential along with the ability to work as part of a team with a real drive to add value to the firm.
We’ll Trust You To:
- Develop, execute, and maintain the Compliance Monitoring Program to be an effective check and challenge
- Design and conduct risk assessments on a regular scheduled basis, including any associated controls and their effectiveness
- Undertake monitoring/testing in accordance with the CMP for each of the relevant businesses
- Work closely with stakeholder groups including Business Operations, Risk, and Engineering teams
- Collaborate effectively with the "advisory" compliance teams along with the business directly to drive robust regulatory awareness and consistency
- Identify potential improvements in processes and play a role to implement system changes
- Keep up-to-date with regulatory rules and changes
- Provide an oversight on compliance policies and procedures aligned with ongoing monitoring requirements
- Plan, prepare, and conduct continuing Compliance education as required
- Prepare reports for regulatory bodies and internal management
You'll Need To Be Able To:
- Envision, design, and implement a new assurance/monitoring program while motivating key partners
- Learn new areas of regulation and business models/processes that you're not familiar with
- Adapt to new systems and technology with ease
- Work well under pressure and handle a number of different tasks at the same time while often meeting tight deadlines
- Be a great teammate who is willing to support and assist other team members
You’ll Need To Have:
- A Bachelor's Degree
- 5-7 years + experience in risk, compliance controls or compliance monitoring ideally at a financial institution
- Knowledge and practical experience with US, UK, and/or EU financial regulations.
- Experience within Compliance at a regulated financial institution or with a regulator
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Great attention to detail, high level of organizational skills
We’d Love To See:
- Familiarity with financial markets and products (e.g. Fixed Income, FX, Commodities, and Equities)
- A desire to be part of a team in a dynamic and fast-paced organization
- Legal Degree
If This Sounds Like You:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this:
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.