Compliance Officer - Financial & Trading Technology
New York, NY
Posted Mar 29, 2019 - Requisition No. 74411
Bloomberg’s Legal Department plays a critical role in supporting our businesses and operations around the world. We move quickly and thoughtfully to help address a variety of complex legal issues that come with being the world’s leading financial news and information company. Our team is made up of talented and hardworking professionals who think creatively and work collaboratively in an open environment to deliver results, drive innovation, and solve difficult problems. Diversity and inclusion are essential to our success, and we strive to maintain an environment where our employees are empowered to make an impact. We also recognize the value of diversity and inclusion in cultivating a supportive workplace and the importance of giving back to our communities as evidenced by our award-winning pro bono program.
The Global Compliance team within Bloomberg’s Legal Department provides coverage of Bloomberg's regulated entities and products including support for Bloomberg's non-regulated products and services. We work to ensure compliance with current/developing rules and regulations, and correspond with regulators. Bloomberg has regulated activities that include regulated trading venues (e.g., UK Multilateral Trading Facility, US Swap Execution Facility), MIFID II benchmark activities, a US Broker-Dealer, and other regulated offerings globally.
Bloomberg is looking for an experienced, technologically savvy professional to join the Americas Compliance team in New York as a Compliance Officer supporting Bloomberg’s global offering of financial technology products. This is a unique team which utilizes the diverse skills and experience of all members to succeed in covering many different products and regulatory requirements. It offers an environment to share knowledge and experiences, and to develop individually in a company that positively encourages collaboration and teamwork.
You will provide support for a comprehensive offering of financial technology products offered by Bloomberg. The role will have a focus on identifying and assessing Compliance & Regulatory risks applicable to the various products and businesses such as research and pre-trade analytics tools, order management systems, trading technology and trade execution tools, post-trade systems, communication tools and compliance tools. Working with the global Compliance team, you will provide ongoing support and advisory guidance to the businesses to help mitigate compliance and regulatory risk. You will also be the key Compliance advisor to product leaders of some of our trading technology functionality. In this role, it is important that you are a self-starter with experience in financial markets, financial technology, operational risk assessments, and training. It is also critical that you are able to effectively implement Compliance policies, governance and controls. It is essential that you have strong communication and interpersonal skills, with an eagerness to work as part of a team and a drive to contribute to the firm. You should also be comfortable working both independently with minimal supervision and collaboratively as member of our team.
We'll trust you to:
- Conduct Compliance risk assessments in coordination with the global Compliance Practices team
- Effectively implement Compliance governance and controls
- Provide ongoing advisory compliance support to the business
- Review, update and draft Compliance policies and procedures
- Develop and streamline new and existing Compliance processes
- Find opportunities for and assist in implementing system improvements
- Respond to regulatory inquiries as appropriate
- Conduct reviews, testing and verification on a regular basis
- Prepare reports for regulatory bodies and internal management as applicable
- Keep abreast of regulatory changes and their potential impact
- Act as the second line of defense for dynamic, forward thinking businesses
- Work closely with Legal, keeping abreast of jurisdictional changes and potential compliance impact
- Plan, prepare and conduct training for business partners
You'll need to have:
- Proven experience working in the financial markets, electronic trading, financial technology
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- A track record of working with and advising senior business people on compliance matters
- Experience in drafting policies, procedures, and manuals, along with preparing reports for regulatory bodies and internal management
- An analytical mind, proven ability to solve complex problems and streamline processes
We'd love to see:
- Experience in the financial industry with broad knowledge of financial concepts
- Familiarity with financial technology
- The ability to quickly adapt and learn about a wide range of product offerings
- A JD Degree
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.