Compute Cloud Architect (CTO Office)
New York, NY
Posted Feb 1, 2021 - Requisition No. 88614
Bloomberg CTO Office is the forward looking technical arm of Bloomberg L.P. We envision, design and prototype the next generation infrastructure, hardware and applications that interface in all aspects of the company including financial products, broadcast and media, data centers, public cloud, internal IT and our large global network.
CTO Compute Architecture team works on researching and implementing new and better ways to:
- faster provision, manage and elastically scale compute infrastructure with automation and self service capabilities on prem, cloud and the edge
- support rapid application development and delivery
- develop, articulate, and continually evolve the company’s compute, storage, middleware and application technologies via roadmaps and product ownership
We are passionate engineers and architects from a variety of backgrounds. Beyond our team, you will. As a member of our team, you will work with motivated and skilled engineers across the company to deliver timely and secure solutions, and help us define the future of Bloomberg's Cloud Infrastructure.
What’s in it for you :
- Contribute to the long term vision for cloud compute, storage, middleware, applications and infrastructure at Bloomberg.
- Influence the roadmap for future cloud technologies and how Bloomberg will build new infrastructure.
- Provide guidance for optimized and reusable cloud infrastructure across public cloud providers and in our own data centers.
- Collaborate with teams in various projects and products to provide reusable infrastructure components.
- Develop cloud infrastructure patterns by researching and using the best open source tools on the market.
- Help to improve developer productivity for over 6000 engineers with better modern tools and automation.
We'll trust you to:
- Take a leadership role in defining tools, techniques and technologies used to build Bloomberg’s cloud infrastructure.
- Support new product development, guiding teams with the appropriate cloud architectures, design patterns and deployment strategies.
- Prototype new cloud infrastructure technologies, and understand how they fit into Bloomberg's existing environment.
- Identify and mentor the next generation of cloud leadership throughout Bloomberg.
- Foster a culture of cloud and security best practices while balancing the trade-offs between security, usability and performance at a large scale.
- Represent Bloomberg at scientific and industry conferences, and if interested, publish research findings.
You’ll need to have:
- 5+ years of experience automating, building, maintaining and managing various aspects of large-scale infrastructure.
- 3+ years of programming experience in Python or Go.
- 2+ years of automation experience with AWS, Azure and GCP using Terraform or equivalent.
- A track record of building collaborative relationships with stakeholders across many functions, with a focus on correctness, scalability and usability of cloud infrastructure.
- Experience with Docker, Containers, Kubernetes.
- Experience with distributed systems.
- Experience with developing, deploying and managing RESTful APIs.
We'd love to see:
- Past cloud automation projects and responsibilities in large-scale products.
- Familiarity with network protocols and stack across OSI layers
- Breadth of knowledge in systems, networks, and software.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.