Corporate Governance Attorney
New York, NY
Posted Apr 16, 2019 - Requisition No. 74692
Bloomberg’s Legal Department plays a critical role in supporting our businesses and operations around the world. We move quickly and thoughtfully to help address a variety of complex legal issues that come with being the world’s leading financial news and information company. Our team is made up of talented and hardworking professionals who think creatively and work collaboratively in an open environment to deliver results, drive innovation, and solve difficult problems. Diversity and inclusion are essential to our success, and we strive to maintain an environment where our employees are empowered to make an impact. We also recognize the value of diversity and inclusion in cultivating a supportive workplace and the importance of giving back to our communities as evidenced by our award-winning pro bono program.
The Corporate Governance team within the larger department drives innovation by supporting Bloomberg’s businesses globally, including multiple regulated affiliates, such as Bloomberg Trading Facility Limited (our UK multilateral trading facility), Bloomberg SEF LLC (our swap execution facility) and Bloomberg Data Reporting Services Limited (our UK reporting services provider under MiFIDII). Our work focuses on two principal areas: developing and implementing progressive best practice guidance on a practical and strategic level, collaborating with senior management and colleagues throughout the Company to prioritize, exceed goals and strategy objectives. We also ensure our corporate structure supports our businesses to deliver world class products and services to our valued clients globally.
What’s The Role?
Are you a highly motivated, intellectually curious and experienced corporate/governance attorney? Want to join a team handling various general corporate structure matters and governance topics with one of the leading global information providers? Look no further. Bloomberg is looking for a Corporate Governance Attorney to become a part of our team. We know that strength comes from diversity, and we will embrace your unique skills, eagerness, and passion while giving you freedom to grow professionally and as an individual.
Based in New York, this role is an exciting opportunity to support Bloomberg in promoting excellent standards of governance and operate an end-to-end corporate secretarial program. Reporting directly to the Senior Global Structure Attorney, you will interface with various colleagues in a range of capacities. Come join our team and experience what it feels like to be part of an organization that makes a
You will need to be experienced in leading a wide range of governance and corporate secretarial activities. You should have excellent analytical skills, be comfortable taking initiative and be a collaborative teammate. We would love for you to have premium organizational abilities and the ability to thrive in a dynamic environment, while remaining flexible, dedicated, efficient and calm juggling a busy agenda. Executive presence and a high level of professionalism are needed in this role.
We'll trust you to:
Ensure compliance with corporate governance best practices, including:
- Draft relevant governance documents, such as board and committee charters
- Provide project-related support, research and analysis of corporate and governance matters
- Collaborate with colleagues in Legal, Compliance, Finance and Treasury to form new entities, set up businesses and execute on various structure initiatives
- Maintain corporate registers, minute books and organizational charts, and coordinate and liaise with overseas colleagues to maintain accurate legal entity database information and reporting
- Monitor important scheduled dates and ensure periodic filings are timely made
- Assist with overall governance processes to ensure that legal entities are appropriately led in accordance with their constituent documents, policies and applicable law
- As part of the larger Legal Department, provide support to the broad range of businesses operated by Bloomberg
Operate Bloomberg’s Global Appointed Persons Program, including:
- Draft and revise legal documents necessary to appoint officers, directors and authorized persons
- Interact with colleagues to advise business leads on appropriate scope of authority
- Implement and enhance officer, director and authorized person disclosure program
- Coordinate with local counsel as needed
Support Bloomberg’s Global Corporate Disclosures, including:
- Reviewing corporate disclosures
- Providing corporate entity information, corporate documents, including incumbency certificates and board resolutions, and corporate secretarial support for legal entities to Legal, Finance and business units
- Drafting responses to KYC requests
- Serving as the corporate structure escalation point for colleagues responding to request for proposals.
Coordinate Board Communications, including:
- Preparing board materials, including drafting board resolutions and summaries of matters for board consideration
- Leading the distribution and retention of records and materials
Support Regulated Entity Board Meetings, including:
- Managing board meeting preparations in consultation with colleagues across Bloomberg
- Drafting and distributing agendas and materials
- Drafting and finalizing minutes and resolutions
- Being a resourceful, standout colleague
You’ll need to have:
- 2+ years of experience practicing corporate law at a law firm or equivalent in-house experience in a corporate generalist, corporate secretarial or similar function
- A law degree (J.D.)
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- An understanding of corporations and corporate structure requirements
- Experience leading projects and initiatives to achieve desired outcomes
- A proactive attitude and self-motivation with excellent organizational skills while working under pressure
- Experience effectively running and prioritizing multiple projects simultaneously
- Proven experience working independently with minimal supervision and in team environments
- Exemplary attention to detail and ability to anticipate support required
- Proficiency with, and passion to use, technology tools to enhance and facilitate governance processes (e.g., Powerpoint, Excel, Word, Adobe, Sharepoint)
- A diplomatic approach and the confidence to provide substantive and strategic contributions to senior colleagues
- Integrity and discretion when handling confidential information
We’d love to see:
- A strong desire to understand and learn about Bloomberg's business and corporate governance program
- Knowledge of U.S. financial regulatory regimes, e.g., SEC or CFTC regulation
- Keen interest in designing and implementing processes and procedures
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we’re a good match. We’ll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this:
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.