Counsel, Alternative Data
New York, NY
Posted Sep 13, 2022 - Requisition No. 108526
Bloomberg’s Legal & Compliance Department plays a critical role in supporting our businesses and operations around the world. We move quickly and thoughtfully to help address a variety of complex legal issues that arise across the Company’s various businesses. Our team is made up of talented and hardworking professionals who think creatively and work collaboratively in an open environment to deliver results, drive innovation, and solve difficult problems. Diversity and inclusion are essential to our success, and we strive to maintain an environment where our employees are empowered to make an impact. We also recognize the value of diversity and inclusion in cultivating a supportive workplace and the importance of giving back to our communities as evidenced by our award-winning pro bono program.
Alternative data represents a critical growth initiative for Bloomberg. Through alternative data, we are empowering our clients with new ways of understanding the world with ever-increasing speed, depth and precision. We are building alternative data products to transform the way our clients research companies as part of their investment processes.
Based in our New York headquarters, you will provide thoughtful and commercially-oriented legal advice across a variety of matters affecting Bloomberg’s alternative data business. You will have the opportunity to shape strategy as an essential business partner to Bloomberg technologists, product managers and sales leaders. You will also collaborate closely with legal colleagues who support other businesses across the Bloomberg Professional Services suite.
You will structure, draft, and negotiate commercial license agreements, including complex mission critical customer agreements. In addition, partnering with in-house specialists in privacy, data security, and financial regulation, as well as outside counsel, you will draw on your demonstrated legal acumen and great judgment to coordinate actionable and contextualized advice to business partners from the junior sales level on up to the Chief Technology Officer.
You’ll need to have:
- Membership in the New York bar or the necessary qualifications to register as in-house counsel
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience practicing law
- Experience with alternative data and familiarity with related legal issues (including privacy, data protection, and financial regulation)
- Experience with commercial transactions, either at a law firm or in-house in the financial or technology sector
- Experience drafting and negotiating technology or data licensing agreements
- Integrity and discretion when handling and advising on confidential or sensitive information
- The ability to work well under pressure and to provide concise and commercially-focused advice
- The ability to collaborate efficiently with software engineers, product managers, sales, and compliance professionals, including the ability to explain legal issues clearly to internal non-legal stakeholders
- Strong written and oral communication skills
We’d love to see:
- Experience advising an alternative data business or hedge fund on in-licensing and use of alternative data
- Experience drafting and negotiating technology or data out-licensing agreements
- Experience working with regulated financial institutions, software and other technology companies
- Experience negotiating data, privacy, and cybersecurity terms in an M&A context
- Abiding interest in identifying and using technology to improve efficiency
- Strong project management skills
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, and in the meantime please have a look at http://www.bloomberg.com/professional to learn more about us.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.