Counsel, Bloomberg Indices
New York, NY
Posted Nov 30, 2021 - Requisition No. 98102
Bloomberg’s Legal & Compliance Department plays a critical role in supporting our businesses and operations around the world. We move quickly and thoughtfully to help address a variety of complex legal issues that arise across the Company’s various businesses. Our team is made up of talented and hardworking professionals who think creatively and work collaboratively in an open environment to deliver results, drive innovation, and solve difficult problems.
Diversity and inclusion are essential to our success, and we strive to maintain an environment where our employees are empowered to make an impact. We also recognize the value of diversity and inclusion in cultivating a supportive workplace and the importance of giving back to our communities as evidenced by our award-winning pro bono program.
The Index team within Bloomberg’s Legal & Compliance Department works closely with our business and sales partners to draft and negotiate the legal terms and conditions of our licenses for our Index services worldwide. Our colleagues depend on us for our deep product and commercial contract knowledge in order to support them in closing the deal, while operating in a regulated environment and protecting our businesses from undue legal risk.
What’s the Role:
The Bloomberg Legal Department is seeking a senior technology licensing attorney who will have responsibility for, among other things, managing the negotiation of customer and partner agreements for a wide range of index licenses and services, including personally negotiating complex or mission critical agreements. The attorney will also advise the business leaders on all legal matters, drawing on expertise both inside and outside the Company's legal department to provide advice on regulatory, intellectual property, and other legal matters important to the business.
The attorney will be a valued member of a dynamic legal department. Based at Bloomberg's global headquarters in New York, the attorney will collaborate frequently with colleagues and internal clients in an exciting, high-energy work environment.
You’ll need to have:
- Membership in the New York bar or eligibility to practice in New York as in-house counsel
- At least 5 years of experience practicing law, including substantial in-house experience in the financial or technology sector
- Significant experience as a lawyer drafting and negotiating, and advising clients on, challenging and complex technology licensing transactions
- Integrity and discretion when handling and advising on confidential or sensitive information
We’d love to see:
- At least 3 years of experience in the index business, with an understanding of the core concepts thereof
- Prior experience practicing for a law firm
- The ability to work well under pressure and to provide concise and commercially focused advice
- Ability to explain legal issues clearly to business and technology professionals
- Abiding interest in identifying and using technology to improve efficiency
- Strong project management skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.