DBA - Database Infrastructure Platform Team (Consultant)
New York, NY
Posted Jul 9, 2019 - Requisition No. 73708
Bloomberg runs on data. It's our business and it's our product. It's why thousands of companies partner with us. We've surpassed petabytes of data, with no end in sight.
The Bloomberg Database Engineering team maintains large-scale, high transactional databases with focus on high availability and performance. Our 25k plus database instances run MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Db2, and SQL Server. To manage these effectively, we operate a DBaaS (Databases-as-a-Service) platform which empowers our developers to manage their own databases.
What's in it for you:
On our team you will collaborate with application owners to develop a seamless process to migrate their schema and data from current Oracle infrastructure to PostgreSQL. You will need to define best practices for migrating and validating data along with schema, functions and PL/SQL procedures. You will also serve as a lead technical resource in the migration and Post migration activities. We expect you to know Oracle database system inside and out and be a little bit obsessive about automation.
We'll trust you to:
- Develop best practices and automated procedures for migrating existing schema including functions, procedures, packages and data.
- Develop end-to-end migration plan from Oracle to PostgreSQL including validation.
- Manage migration projects in collaboration with application owners and DBAs.
- Support existing Oracle infrastructure.
- Mentor application developers on writing efficient queries and designing database schemas.
- Have experience in performance tuning, backup/recovery, and capacity planning.
- Write and maintain scripts to automate complex tasks.
You need to have:
- In-depth knowledge of Oracle version 11/12 including setup, configuration for OLTP, RMAN, Active Data Guard, Streams, GoldenGate, Grid, OLAP, Real application testing, ASM and Query performance tuning.
- Experience with migration of data and schema out of Oracle into PostgreSQL using open/close source tools.
- Knowledge of Oracle internals.
We'd love to see:
- Knowledge of transforming Oracle functions, procedures and packages to PostgreSQL Pl/pgSQL.
- Knowledge of PostgreSQL V10 and V11 including extensions.
- Knowledge of PL/SQL and python programming.