Data Engineer - Alternative Investment Funds
New York, NY
Posted Sep 6, 2023 - Requisition No. 118656
Bloomberg runs on data. In Bloomberg Data, we’re responsible for on-boarding, analyzing, applying and supplying it to our clients for their financial data needs.
Whether a fund investor, manager or advisor, Bloomberg has the data, solutions and industry network to help our clients take their fund and company analysis to the next level. The Alternative Investments data team is made up of market specialists and technologists with a passion for private markets, from fund launch to liquidation, seed round to IPO and all the data in between.
What’s the role?
Our Data Engineers are a dynamic group of individuals who take on the more exciting aspects of our data product, from data engineering to business intelligence, using different technologies. Our Data Engineers possess an outstanding combination of technical, interpersonal and communication skills, which they apply to spot gaps and find improvement opportunities to our product’s technologies. They are seen as technical leaders across the organization. As such, we are looking for a highly motivated individual who's passionate about building workflows and analyzing data. You will apply your problem-solving skills to handle the pipelines, automation processes and workflows that feed our Alternative Investment Funds Data Products. In addition to that, you will analyze our data using business intelligence tools, in order to get the best insights out of it. You will be encouraged to lead projects, collaborate with different partners and mentor junior members of the group who are looking to develop technically.
We’ll trust you to:
- Develop, scale, and maintain the data pipelines and processes that interact with our Bloomberg Hedge Fund and Private Equity Databases.
- Partner with a wide variety of collaborators including Engineering, Product and Sales on product development and execution
- Leverage technology to solve problems and optimize current processes in areas such as data quality, data acquisition, operations, reliability and content
- Leverage technical expertise to partner with domain experts and technical account managers and find gaps and opportunities in our product
- Take ownership and ensure continuity of current data pipelines and services in production
- Use statistics and data visualization to generate insights about ongoing operations and projects
You’ll need to have:
- A BA/BS degree or higher in Computer Science, Mathematics, or relevant data technology field, or equivalent professional work experience
- 4+ years of Python programming and scripting in a production environment
- 4+ years of experience working with databases either SQL or NoSQL
- Understanding and experience of large-scale, distributed systems
- Strong problem solving skills, particularly to modify and improve processes and workflows
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, especially when explaining technical processes and solutions to business partners and management
- High attention to detail and degree of shown decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently as well as in a distributed team environment
- Ability to influence others and lead change
- Experience in conducting technical training and mentoring others
- Legal authorization to work full-time in the United States and will not require visa sponsorship now or in the future
We’d love to see:
- Financial Market experience including an understanding of the lifecycle of funds data
- Understanding of Machine Learning, applied statistics and data analytics
- Agile/Scrum Project Management experience
- Experience using data analysis and visualization tools such as Tableau or QlikSense
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are!
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 110,000 - 170,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus