Data Engineer- Security Data Platform (Contract)
New York, NY
Posted Mar 11, 2022 - Requisition No. 101397
Who we are:
Bloomberg runs on data. It's our business and our product. From the biggest banks to the most elite hedge funds, financial institutions need timely, accurate data to capture opportunities and evaluate risk in a dynamic market. In order to provide this level of service and the security required to protect it, the Security Data Platform team provides a platform that transforms petabytes of structured and unstructured data such as text, time series, and events into machine-readable knowledge fueling numerous security focused applications.
That's where you come in. Working in a talented multi-disciplinary team, you will be responsible for the onboarding of new datasets and maintaining the current data pipelines used by the Security Data Platform. Our platform is built on modern container orchestration, streaming and data storage platforms and provides a working base where information security engineers can quickly perform the analysis and build the tools they need to ensure security of our infrastructure.
The Security Data Platform team is a new team which was established to build a platform supporting the data and analytical needs of Bloomberg’s Security organizations. This platform is essential to leverage information at Big Data scale, that is critical to have proactive security abilities.
How we give back:
This new team will make extensive use of open source software. As part of that, we make a commitment to upstreaming features we'll be developing. Whether pushing bug-fixes upstream, developing new features, giving presentations at conferences and meetups, or collaborating with industry leaders, open source will be at the heart of this team. It's not just something we do in our free time, it is how we work.
What's in it for you:
You will help the platform grow by bringing on new datasets and enhancing the building tooling for onboarding new datasets quickly. You'll be able to apply your existing knowledge while gaining experience from working with specialists in stream processing, kubernetes, hadoop and information security. You'll have the opportunity to create a meaningful impact on the overall information security capabilities.
We’ll trust you to:
- Lead automation operation, installation, and monitoring of system components in our infrastructure stack
- Collaborate with information security personnel to understand data needs, and design solutions to ingest the data
- Gather requirements and synthesize software solutions to meet them
- Produce developer and operational documentation, and troubleshoot run-time issues
- Provide performance analysis and capacity planning for clusters
You’ll need to have:
- Strong software development skills and ability to multitask in an Agile environment
- 5+ years experience programming in Java, Scala, Python
- 5+ years experience working with Big Data technologies such as HDFS, Hadoop, Spark, Hive, HBase, etc.
- 3+ years experience in Workflow orchestration tools such as Airflow etc.
- Have experience in building real-time streaming data pipelines
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to collaborate across teams, manage competing goals and changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related technology field
We’d love to see:
- Experience working with/in containerized environments using Docker, Kubernetes, Swarm, Rancher, Mesos
- Experience with Apache Kafka or other message queuing systems
- Experience writing parsers/schemas for semi-structured and unstructured content
- Experience with Elasticsearch, Solr, Cassandra and other database technologies
- Experience working on CI/CD processes such as Jenkins, Codeway etc. and source control tools such as GitHub, etc.
If this sounds like you, apply!
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.