New York, NY
Posted Mar 18, 2021 - Requisition No. 89639
Bloomberg News seeks a Data Journalist to help us expand our Data Desk, a new globally distributed team of data savvy reporters empowered to work on ambitious stories and projects across Bloomberg’s reporting teams.
We are looking for someone with a passion for digging through data to unearth previously undiscovered stories about business, finance, markets, economics, technology, climate change, politics and policy.
Your work will cover all areas of the newsroom, from breaking stories to investigations and special projects. You’ll be pitching and executing on your own ideas, as well as collaborating with editors, reporters and other data journalists to manage the data component of stories and larger projects.
What you'll do:
- Pitch and report smart, accurate and timely data-rich stories
- Partner with reporters to acquire, clean and analyze data for larger newsroom projects.
- Work with the graphics team to explore and prepare data for maps, charts and other data visualization projects
- Assist with code review and methodology checks on other data journalist’s work.
What Skills You’ll need:
- Expertise in either Python or R is required. Bloomberg tools primarily rely on Python, so R users should have some familiarity with both languages.
- Data is at the heart of this role. You should have experience importing, cleaning and analyzing large data sets with code.
- You should have familiarity with using APIs to make data requests, including scheduled jobs.
- Web scraping skills, including familiarity with web scraping best practices, are a must.
- Familiarity accessing and working with databases. This could include proficiency with SQL and databases managers such as mySQL and PostgresSQL.
- Must have a working understanding of statistics, including tests for statistical significance and correlation.
- Working knowledge of Github, including familiarity with cloning a project, pushing/merging content to an existing repository, and using Git commands the command line.
- Familiarity with the GSuite of applications, including Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Golab.
- Familiarity with spatial analysis using GIS tools like QGIS or ESRI ArcMap is a plus.
The job is available immediately. If this sounds like you, apply!
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.