Data Scientist - Management & Enterprise Business Intelligence - Finance & Administration
New York, NY
Posted May 19, 2023 - Requisition No. 116383
The energy of a newsroom, the pace of a trading floor, the buzz of a recent tech breakthrough; we work hard, and we work fast - while keeping up the quality and accuracy we're known for. It's what keeps us inventing and reinventing, all the time. Our culture is wide open, just like our spaces. We bring out the best in each other through collaboration. Through our countless volunteer projects, we also help network with the communities around us, too. You can do amazing work here. Work you couldn't do anywhere else. It's up to you to make it happen.
What’s the role?
Bloomberg's Management & Enterprise Business Intelligence Group helps leaders across the company make data-driven decisions. Within the larger group, the Data Science Solutions team supports sales, product, UX and content teams by building data products, hardening data pipelines, and providing analytics and statistical analyses.
We are seeking an experienced data scientist to provide coverage of Bloomberg’s content teams, including Bloomberg News, Bloomberg Media, and Bloomberg Intelligence. As a member of the team, you will work alongside research analysts, engineers, product managers, and data scientists from across the organization to understand business requirements and measure key performance indicators. You will be responsible for making sense of complex datasets, building reports, and providing rapid solutions to urgent business questions. The day-to-day of the role is an exciting mix of data exploration, analytics, and stakeholder management!
We’ll trust you to:
- Operate as an internal consultant for Bloomberg content teams in addressing strategic and operating issues, as well as manage ad hoc requests and research projects
- Distill vague business requirements into questions that can be answered with data
- Use SQL/Python to explore and analyze large, complex data sets to develop critical insights, such as understanding audience behavior, measuring KPIs, and optimizing business metrics
- Develop, automate, and maintain reports and dashboards using data visualization techniques, enabling business partners to make data-driven decisions
- Communicate findings and explain technical concepts in simple terms to non-technical business leaders
- A minimum of 3 years' progressive professional experience in analytics, multivariate modeling, segmentation, quantitative methods, database, and digital data
- A minimum of 3 years' advanced SQL skills and experience working with relational databases, knowledge of big data systems such as Hadoop
- Experience with data visualization software tools (e.g. Qliksense, Tableau, Power BI, etc.) and Web Analytics Tools (Google analytics, Omniture etc) and the shown ability to learn and master new tools quickly
- Ability to work with and explain technical concepts to non-technical partners, and break down sophisticated business problems into achievable steps
You’ll need to have:
We'd love to see:
- Prior work experience constructing complex queries in SQL and in pyspark/pandas
- Experience coding in Python, specifically around data manipulation and automation
- Experience with data visualization both within Python (seaborn, plotly) and external dashboarding tools such as Qliksense, Tableau, Mode, etc
- Experience with command line and GIT
- Experience with Hadoop/Hive/Postgresql and working with large (out of memory) datasets
- Experience using statistical analysis and machine learning techniques (e.g. regression, classification, clustering, time series, etc.) to solve business problems
- Fluency with Excel and PowerPoint
- A demonstrated ability to lead and balance multiple projects at once
- A passion for solving business problems and making an impact across an organization
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know that the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at: https://www.bloomberg.com/company/what-we-do/
Bloomberg is committed to diversity! It drives our innovation. At Bloomberg, you'll have the opportunity to go above and beyond and to take risks. You'll be a part of an organization that is entering new markets, launching new ventures, and pushing boundaries. Our ever-expanding array of technology, data, news, and media services champions innovation and empowers clients -- and offers nearly limitless opportunities for career growth.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 120,000 - 175,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus