Design Director, Bloomberg Media Studios (Contractor)
New York, NY
Posted Mar 23, 2021 - Requisition No. 89719
The energy of a newsroom. The pace of a trading floor. The buzz of a recent tech breakthrough. We work hard, and we work fast - while keeping up the quality and accuracy we're known for. It's what keeps us inventing and reinventing, all the time.
Bloomberg LP has built a significant media business spanning television, digital, magazine, radio and live event platforms across the globe. In the midst of a historic time in the media industry, Bloomberg Media is setting out to become the indispensable source of information for the world's most influential business leaders.
The design team within Bloomberg Media Studios is a core of hardworking, nimble, and diverse creative professionals executing at an extremely high level. We are searching for a 6-month Design Director who can take on a leadership role, always acting as an inspiration for the team, pushing them to go that extra mile when needed.
You’re a strong conceptual thinker with broad experience in digitally-led design and video. Your design aesthetic is impeccable and always on trend. You’re comfortable both directing a cross-disciplinary team to produce breakthrough ideas and work, as well as “getting your hands dirty” on a regular basis as part of the design team. The ultimate goal will be to collectively elevate our creative practice and serve as a partner to our custom editorial and strategy teams.
Who you are:
- Big ideas are your thing- Generate innovative ideas across all existing and emerging platforms and inspire colleagues to create world-class, pioneering work and content
- “Good enough” bores you— Guide, teach and push members of the design team in developing concepts and be part of the creative process from strategy to concepts to execution
- Wearer of hats, big and small— Autonomously own a large project from kickoff to completion, often balancing multiple projects at once
- A problem solver and a maker— Actively engage with Strategy in activities such as customer journeys, persona development/mapping, UX workshops, wire framing, white space identification, briefs, and client relationship development
- Productively critical— Oversee and provide thought leadership in the assessment of existing properties for content value, relevance, aesthetics, branding, and overall experience
- User experienced— Champion principles of user centered design and best UX practices, knowing when to bend the rules
- Always on—Awareness of the latest design trends, always sharing the latest and greatest to keep the team energized and current
- Executable excellence is your goal—Collaborate with cross-functional team on implementation feasibility to ensure conceptual ideas are realizable
- Contagiously enthusiastic and articulate— Build confidence with clients through compelling presentation of experience and content ideas. Independent thinking and effective oral and written presentation skills are required
- No wasted motion— Collaborate, multi-task and work efficiently under the pressure of deadlines
- Always listening — Engage in rapid iteration that is responsive to job duties
- Social first – Ability to approach social extensions as an integrated part of an execution plan as opposed to an after-thought
You'll need to have:
- A stellar portfolio across a range of clients and disciplines
- 7-10 years of experience design and strong interactive and video work experience preferred
- 3+ years of experience as a design/creative director
- Creative or content/publisher/agency/consultancy experience desired
- Ability to explain abstract, complex or ground breaking ideas in a straightforward way
- Proven skills in presenting, client partnership and visual communication
- Knowledge of the capabilities of modern web and social technologies and desire to stay at the forefront as new technologies emerge
- Experience working with Strategy to synthesize results into meaningful design decisions
- Strong ability to provide clear creative direction and provide timely, helpful feedback to improve creative processes and to keep work on budget and schedule
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we’re a good match. We'll get in touch with you to let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.