Distributed Big Data Platform Engineer
New York, NY
Posted Feb 23, 2022 - Requisition No. 91599
The world's largest financial institutions require vast amounts of data to help their clients manage their portfolios, execute their trades and analyze the markets. Bloomberg offers our clients a vast set of products and services to get access to the full range of financial data that we offer. As our clients use these platforms, our group’s responsibility is to build distributed workflows to ingest, store and perform complex data computations at a massive scale. We are looking for software engineers to join us.
We leverage multiple distributed technologies like Apache Hadoop, Apache Phoenix, Apache Kafka, Apache Spark and Greenplum as a part of our ecosystem. As we look to on-board additional products to our platform, we expect the volume of data flowing through our systems to grow significantly and hence are always looking to innovate and enhance our systems to meet these demands. We are also exploring some search based use cases that call for the use of Apache Solr. More importantly, we are always looking to explore and use technologies that help us build operationally independent, scalable and reusable workflows.
We're looking for engineers with a real passion for designing and building distributed big data solutions who can collaborate optimally on small teams to develop software that impacts thousands of financial institutions and decision makers around the world.
As an engineer on the team, you'll have the opportunity to:
- Design, develop, test, deploy and maintain software components
- Collaborate with engineering and product teams across the company
- Learn new technologies and how to apply them at scale
- Be part of the many tech and non-tech communities we have at Bloomberg
- Think about the bigger picture and take calculated risks
You’ll need to have:
- 4+ years of software engineering experience
- Experience or an interest to work in Java and Python
- Experience with system design
- Demonstrated experience being self sufficient in fast-paced continuous delivery projects
- Shown ability to communicate optimally
- BA, BS, MS, PHD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technical field
We'd love to see:
- Knowledge of SQL and experience using RDBMS
- Working experience in Java and/or Python
- Experience working with large scale distributed processing systems
- Experience with Hadoop, Spark
- Keen curiosity about learning modern technological advances and shown success at incorporating new technologies into existing systems
Know more about our group and meet some members here:
We are extremely proud of our diverse and open culture, and value diversity of thought and perspective in every form. We're looking for engineers with a real passion for writing reusable, efficient solutions to complex problems, who can adapt to an ever-changing market landscape, and who can collaborate and work effectively on small teams to develop software that impacts thousands of users around the world.
If this sounds like you, apply!
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.