Experienced Interaction Designer - Engineering Infrastructure
New York, NY
Posted Mar 3, 2020 - Requisition No. 81687
Bloomberg’s Infrastructure Engineering teams are tasked with understanding common yet complex problems faced by engineers at Bloomberg in order to provide solutions as-a-service at scale. The products, platforms, frameworks, libraries, middleware and managed services they develop and deliver are used by over 5000 engineers across the company. Most of the team is comprised of infrastructure engineers who have been in that role for their entire careers. While they love building the best tools for their colleagues, user interaction isn’t exactly their strong point.
That’s where you come in.
We’ll trust you to:
Join a team of designers within the Infrastructure Engineering organization and take ownership of a part of our engineers’ workflow. You’ll embed yourself within an Engineering product team long-term to fully understand the domain, the users, and the product strategy. You’ll conduct your own user research and draw from the findings to craft conceptual frameworks, design solutions and help drive the overall project strategy and direction. As an excellent analytical and conceptual thinker, you’ll translate user needs, business objectives, and technology capabilities into innovative design solutions. You’ll be involved in all aspects of the design process from context-based research to storyboarding and presenting to internal clients. Success depends on close collaboration and partnerships with end-users and subject matter experts, as well as product and technology counterparts. You'll also test and validate design solutions with end-users, often releasing new software versions quickly and frequently to small parts of the engineering population to collect feedback.
You’ll need to have:
- 5+ years of experience designing transactional or highly interactive user interfaces, ideally in complex data, workflow, and expert user products
- Undergraduate or Graduate Degree in HCI, Interaction Design, Information Architecture, Visual Communication, or any design-related field.
- A degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field is a plus
- Experience in several of the following: designing complex user workflows, decision-support systems, large dataset visualizations and framework-level interactions, information architecture, graphic/visual design, usability research/analysis
- Track record of applying common User-Centred Design practices and tools to solve tough design problems
- Understanding of workflow systems, software development processes, and command centre monitoring tools
We’d love to see:
- Experience in project management
- Familiarity with Agile and Lean UX methodologies
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Your portfolio!
We are interested in reviewing a couple of your design projects for this position. We ideally would like to see artifacts from across the project lifecycle. Your representative projects may include, but should not be limited to: research, personas, sketches, site maps, task flows, wireframes, storyboards, etc. We are, however, most interested in seeing detailed wireframes (preferably a deck) illustrating a step-by-step user workflow for complex transactional interfaces.
An ideal project to showcase for us would have an intricate user interface that you can use to explain your detailed design decisions. Experience working with interactive charting applications and/or data visualization design skills would be helpful. Please include two (2) projects where you can give us a "deep-dive" into your design process.
Please provide us with a link and include it in your application. If you need some other way of showing us your work (either by emailing it, bringing it in person, or through an online real-time screen-sharing session), please apply for the role and we'll contact you to make arrangements to view it.
Please do not, without proper consent, share or disclose to Bloomberg any confidential or proprietary information that you may have obtained in connection with employment with any other employer, or which may be considered the Work Product of any other individual or entity.
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we’re a good match and we’ll get in touch with you to let you know next steps. Note, this role is a contract-to-hire position.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.