FA - Senior Software Engineer - Real-time Portfolio Analytics and Breakdown
New York, NY
Posted May 7, 2021 - Requisition No. 90638
When markets change, they change fast. In the blink of an eye, Big Tech stocks can start going down unexpectedly or the possibility of a new vaccine for the global pandemic can shoot prices up. During these volatile times in the global markets, our clients rely on our flagship Bloomberg Portfolio Analytics product PORT, which helps the most prominent players in the financial markets make business decisions every day.
Our team has the critical responsibility of providing highly scalable and low latency real-time portfolio analytics that allow our clients to track the performance of their portfolios throughout the day and also help break down the portfolio to attribute its performance in customizable market sectors. Our full-stack system gets a usage of tens of thousands of client hits per day across our Bloomberg Terminal and Mobile platforms, and our high impact product is referred to as “the landing page” of our Portfolio Analytics application. Every move in the market means millions of new calculations that flow through our comprehensive analytics engine, which gives our team the responsibility to provide cutting-edge engineering solutions to keep our system highly scalable, modular and accurate. We are currently building a brand new product that will redefine our current offerings, using machine learning to optimize our analytics and workflows, and constantly innovating our architecture as our fast-paced business grows and evolves.
Our distributed system is composed of highly scalable and multi-threaded C++ services and publishing frameworks, using a mix of open-source technologies such as Redis, Apache ZooKeeper, Spark, Jenkins and Docker. As owners of a critical real-time analytics platform, we use monitoring technologies such as Splunk and Grafana and follow modern SDLC practices. We follow Agile methodology within the team, and use Scaled Agile Product Increments (PI) to collaborate with the other teams across the organization which spans over New York, London and Lugano, Switzerland.
Whether you’re looking to make a large impact by running department-wide architecture initiatives across multiple teams to define the future of technology across our engineering department, or looking to grow in an environment that allows you to make your mark on a diverse pool of projects as part of a collaborative, inclusive and closely-knit team, this is the place for you.
We'll trust you to:
- Take ownership of the full development cycle by working with groundbreaking technologies on a modern full-stack system
- Work directly with product owners to build applications that our clients use to tackle complex problems
- Design, develop, and release high-quality, scalable and maintainable code, and take full stack ownership
- Adapt and introduce modern technologies to cultivate constant innovation to contribute to our system evolution
- Embrace collaboration and working together as a team towards the same goal
You will need to have:
- 5+ years of professional experience programming in production environment using C++ or an equivalent object oriented programming language (e.g. Python, Java, C#)
- Experience covering the full software development life cycle, including technical design and implementation
- Strong knowledge of data structures and understanding of algorithms, scalable software design and architecture
- Curiosity and passion for understanding complex financial products and learning new technologies
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related technology field
We'd love to see:
- Experience or interest in real-time systems, multi-threading, large scale distributed systems, data science or machine learning
- Experience in end-to-end software engineering project management
- Passion for pushing boundaries with technology
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.