Senior Software Engineer - Rules Evaluation Framework (FA - Financial Analytics)
New York, NY
Posted Apr 13, 2022 - Requisition No. 98999
Teams in Enterprise Content group build products that enable clients to comply with market Regulations, offer them various analytics associated with Investments & Liquidity Risk and also provide them variety of Reference Datasets to satisfy their security and entity data needs. Across our teams, we deal with tremendous amounts of data pertaining to a variety of asset classes. We acquire and cache hundreds of millions of data points that feed our proprietary algorithms and/or quant models to eventually produce output for over 30+ million instruments. To achieve this, we utilize our robust infrastructure that utilizes a distributed set of machines, a wide range of open source tools and our proprietary Rules Evaluation Framework.
The Rules Evaluation Framework allows users to codify business logic into ‘rules’ that can then be ‘evaluated’. This framework gets used in a variety of ways and some of these use cases are as follows:
- Categorizing millions of financial instruments into ‘cohorts’ based on similarities in their respective characteristics
- Validating and/or filtering out bad data before being fed into processes further in the data processing pipelines
- Generating reports and/or triggering alarms after evaluating Quality Check (QC) rules
- Helping identify parameters to quantitative models that could differ based on financial instruments being processed
Due to the versatility and benefits of the framework, it is utilized by many teams across Bloomberg and is a very critical component within their workflows. We continue to enhance this framework and build new feature sets to cater to ever evolving complexities of our products.
What’s in it for you:
The team responsible for Rules Evaluation Framework is part of the larger Enterprise Content group that builds various Enterprise Data products. This team works in close collaboration with other Engineering and Product teams, to help in design and development of products that rely on utilizing the Rule Evaluation framework. You will work on solving complex problems related to processing vast amounts of data and developing performance efficient processes that run on distributed set of machines. You will get opportunities to explore new tools while also contributing towards enhancing current processes. Our goal is to further build out this team and expand its scope beyond Rules Evaluation Framework to take over ownership of other critical components within our infrastructure. Come talk to us to learn more!
We’ll trust you to:
- Own the full software development life-cycle, from understanding the requirements to development to eventual deployment and support. Your work will be highly visible, giving you a sense of accomplishment.
- Work within an Agile framework and encourage collaboration but equally allow for personal flexibility outside of team responsibilities
- Enjoy solving highly complex software design and optimization problems while understanding the scope and impact of your work
You’ll need to have:
- Understanding of best practices in design and implementation of software
- Experience in working with C++ and/or other Object Oriented Programming (OOP) Languages. Majority of Rules Evaluation Framework’s code base is in C++ but we are always open to experience in other languages.
- An aptitude for analytical problem solving
- Ability and interest in working as part of a team and understanding bigger picture
- a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field, and/or
- an equivalent combination of education, and/or
- specialized training, and/or
- related professional experience
This position requires at least one of the following:
We’d love to see:
- We love to see engineers who are always looking for proactive changes which we can make to improve our daily processing pipelines and the infrastructure which it is built on
- We want to see curious engineers who explore new ways to build new processes and enhance existing ones
- We also want to see engineers embracing working together as a team – mentoring and learning from their existing teammates to break knowledge silos and ensure that our team is producing reliable, well documented and well understood products for our clients
- Overall, we love to see engineers who have a desire to understand our products and processes and have passion to push the technology envelope within our teams
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org