Financial Oil Markets Reporter
New York, NY
Posted Jun 17, 2021 - Requisition No. 91539
We are looking for an experienced and dogged reporter to join our Oil Trading Americas team to help cover the most important and widely traded commodity in the world. This person will be responsible for looking beyond the macro headlines and explaining to our readers the financial trades moving markets that affect everything from national economies to the price you pay to fill your gasoline tank. You will deliver the goods on who is making money -- and who is losing it -- when international diplomacy breaks down or OPEC shuts off global oil taps; and regularly break news on trading desks comings and goings.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate an exceptional ability to network within banks and hedge funds and keep tabs on newcomer investors piling money into derivatives markets with the hopes of cashing in on a boom in commodities. You will pierce the veil on opaque markets to break news on what money managers, producers, refiners and banks are trading. Your reporting is expected to move markets and yield in-depth pieces that move beyond oil and give our readers an idea of how investors are betting on the commodities complex as a whole.
You'll be expected to perform independently at the highest standards,
while also enthusiastically supporting team efforts and collaborating across
teams and regions.
We'll trust you to:
- Develop a strong network of financial commodities sources that you will leverage daily to give our readers a sense of what's happening in markets.
- Explore large options, swaps, and other derivative trades and what or who is
- Find out who is getting hired and fired at oil, energy and commodities trading houses.
- Craft coverage for both expert Bloomberg clients and a broader readership.
- Collaborate closely with colleagues on the team, across other teams and around the globe.
You'll need to have:
- Excellent news judgment and creativity
- Impeccable networking and sourcing skills
- A solid ability to report and write
- A strong work ethic and ability to work independently to generate stories across a diverse beat
- A keen curiosity about the world of commodities markets and the financial players that are critical to keeping them afloat
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/about
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.