Freelance Prompter/Sliding Break Operator (Contract)
New York, NY
Posted Mar 4, 2022 - Requisition No. 101153
The energy of a newsroom. The pace of a trading floor. We work hard, and we work fast — while keeping up the creativity and entrepreneurialism we're known for. It's what keeps us inventing and reinventing, all the time.
Bloomberg LP has built a significant media business spanning television, digital, magazine, radio and live event platforms across the globe. In the midst of a historic time in the media industry, Bloomberg Media is growing its global footprint and reach through new innovations from Quicktake to New Economy to our rapidly growing consumer subscription business.
Bloomberg Media Group is seeking a combined freelance Prompter and Sliding Break Operator at our World Headquarters in New York City. The candidate will operate the teleprompter and sliding break PC for our daily live broadcast.
A teleprompter operator uses the teleprompter technology to scroll through scripted material. The candidate must be able to match the speed of the scrolling text to the speaking of the presenter and adjust to any improvisation of the scripts. The candidate must be able to read the text and understand the prompting cues within the scripts, as well as setup and operate the teleprompter.
A sliding break operator's main responsibility is to keep the time for the show. The candidate is responsible for rolling the soft commercial breaks during LIVE broadcasts. The candidate should be able to do basic time mathematics and calculate in and out block times on the fly.
This position requires the individual be able to work flexible shifts including mornings, evenings, weekends, and holiday work may be required. The candidate must be able to sit for many hours and use a hand controller scroll wheel.
We’ll trust you to:
- Operate the teleprompter during live and taped events
- Operate the sliding break pc during live events
- Work with on-air talent with different speech patterns
- Ensure the teleprompter system is in working condition before on air the program
- Ensure the sliding pc is in working condition before on air the program
- Move quickly and accurately under pressure in a fast-paced broadcast environment
- Collaborate with the technical team and editorial personnel
- Understand the flow and composition of a live news broadcast
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree
- Familiarity with the dynamics of a live studio environment
- Willingness to work weekends, overnights, early mornings and holidays
- Ability to work in highly distracting settings and under considerable pressure
- Excellent organizational, time management and communication skills
Does this sound like you?
Apply! If we believe you’re a good match we'll get in touch to let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.