Fullstack Software Engineer - Telemetry Engineering
New York, NY
Posted Nov 11, 2022 - Requisition No. 103617
The Technology Infrastructure Telemetry teams are the official central source of Telemetry data and services used by Bloomberg engineering and operations. We develop the software and solutions to discover, collect, enrich, store, present and alarm on Telemetry data in the form of log, metric and trace data from all Bloomberg devices and applications. The insight and observability we provide is essential for the stability and reliability of the services Bloomberg provides for our customers globally.
Our Telemetry teams achieve this with close collaboration with our engineering and product colleagues and by utilizing open-source, home-grown and vendor provided solutions. This hybrid approach allows us to provide a highly scalable unified system for processing hundreds of terabytes of Telemetry data in near real-time.
We are looking for Full Stack Developers for the Telemetry group. The teams work on various technologies to solve different problems, all towards the same goal of providing prompt, accurate Telemetry tailored to specific use-cases. We need you to help design and solve problems in our user-experience, our alarming, and our data presentation, to name a few. You would be expected to contribute from conception to delivery, working closely with teammates, peers, stakeholders and management.
What’s in it for you:
As a member of the Telemetry group, you will have direct influence on the stability and resilience of Bloomberg systems. You will get to learn and experiment with new technologies, help drive best practices across engineering teams, work with SMEs across various disciplines, and implement changes to improve the developer experience within your own team.
We support and encourage involvement in industry and attendance at industry conferences, where you will get to learn from and contribute to communities that care about observability.
We will expect you to:
- Identify & Implement optimized workflows for our users to carry out their tasks efficiently.
- Work with our UX teams to create intuitive user interfaces.
- Develop scalable, robust APIs to be used by the front end as well as API users.
- Work with your team in an agile environment to implement solutions
- Develop high quality software that integrates well with our hybrid solutions
- Care about stability and reliability from our users perspective, from internal Bloomberg users to our paying customers
- Collaborate with stakeholders from various domains and roles
- Help mentor your colleagues in your areas of expertise
- Communicate changes that can bring our product forward
You will need to have:
- Good understanding of software development principles, and experience in writing end-to-end applications.
- Good communication skills to interact well both within and outside your team and to discuss ideas and solutions with clarity.
- Self-motivation to identify problems and provide solutions independently.
- A curiosity about how things work, a continuous learning ability and a generosity in sharing your knowledge with others.
- Confidence debugging software, observing system performance and working with telemetry data in its various guises
- A BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related technology field
We would love to see some of the following:
- Familiarity developing user interfaces with frameworks such as React or Angular
- Proven experience developing scalable RESTful and GraphQL APIs using languages like python or golang
If working on a Telemetry platform with opportunities to do backend, frontend, SRE, and/or OSS development interests you, please don’t hesitate to apply! We’ll get in touch quickly to discuss next steps.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus