Global Regulatory Exams and Inquiries Lead - Legal & Compliance
New York, NY
Posted Sep 12, 2023 - Requisition No. 118827
The energy of a newsroom, the pace of a trading floor, the buzz of a recent tech breakthrough; we work hard, and we work fast - while keeping up the quality and accuracy we're known for. It's what keeps us inventing and reinventing, all the time. Our culture is wide open, just like our spaces. We bring out the best in each other through collaboration. Through our countless volunteer projects, we also help network with the communities around us, too. You can do amazing work here. Work you couldn't do anywhere else. It's up to you to make it happen.
What's the role?
Bloomberg’s Risk and Compliance Departments play a critical role in supporting our businesses and operations around the world. We move quickly and thoughtfully to help address a variety of complex issues that come with being the world’s leading financial news and information company. Our team is made up of talented and hardworking professionals who think creatively and work collaboratively in an open environment to deliver results, drive innovation, and solve difficult problems. We also recognize the value of diversity and inclusion and the importance of giving back to our communities as evidenced by our award-winning pro bono program.
The Chief Risk Office and Global Compliance team provide coverage of Bloomberg's regulated entities and products, including support for Bloomberg's non-regulated products and services. We work to address regulatory and operational issues, ensure compliance with current/developing rules and regulations, and correspond with regulators. We are currently looking for an experienced person to work with our Risk and Compliance Shared Services team.
As the Global Exam Management and Regulatory Inquiries Lead, you will work with the Chief Risk Office and Global Compliance team, and other key business stakeholders. The Company’s subsidiaries include registered U.S. Broker Dealers, Swap Execution Facilities, Canadian ATS, U.K. and EU Multilateral Trading Facilities, and various APAC regulated entities, among others. Your expertise will be instrumental in leading and overseeing responses to regulatory examinations and inquiries by the U.S. SEC and CFTC, UK FCA, Netherlands AFM, Singapore MAS, and other regulators globally to ensure a successful outcome for Bloomberg and its regulated entities, working with the Compliance and Risk advisory officers supporting impacted businesses (as well as Product, ENG, Sales, Finance and other partners). You will be expected to identify and escalate areas of focus and themes of the Company’s regulatory inquiries through reporting to Senior Management.
We'll trust you to:
- Directly lead significant regulatory examinations and inquiries, and oversee and coordinate all such activity, managing all aspects of the examination process, including but not limited to, engagement strategy, pre-engagement readiness, on-site reviews, post-engagement closure and lessons learned exercises
- Coordinate the collection and review of relevant documents and information requested
- Partner with subject matter experts to draft responses to regulatory examinations and inquiries, ensuring a consistent, complete, accurate, and evidence-based narrative
- Prepare senior managers and subject matter experts for interviews and meetings with regulatory examiners
- Collaborate with teams across Bloomberg, including legal, finance, risk, engineering, and the business to ensure alignment and consistency in regulatory responses.
- Contribute to risk assessment and testing programs to help assess potential regulatory risks and develop strategies to mitigate them
- Proactively monitor dynamic regulatory environment to anticipate impact on Bloomberg and its regulated entities and implement lessons learned strategies
- Support the Head of Risk and Compliance Shared Services by:
- Being a global thought-leader and team player on Exam Management best practices (including exam management resources, strategy, and management reporting)
- Strengthening the Company’s regulatory exam and inquiries framework
- Presenting directly to senior management on status and substantive issues raised by regulatory exams and inquiries
- Managing ad hoc assignments as directed by management
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Law, Business or related field; Masters or JD preferred
- Minimum 7+ years of experience in Compliance, Legal, and/or Risk Management, preferably at a banking or a financial services organization or at a financial services regulator
- Substantial expertise in successful managing Regulatory Exams and Inquiries globally across various regulatory regimes
- Understanding of risk management, internal controls, root cause analysis, financial products, and services
- Proven project management and stakeholder management skills
- Very strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment, building and maintaining a network of contacts, and coordinating simultaneously with many partners across our company
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated, and effective under pressure
- The ability to work creatively and efficiently, to assist with building a program that’s deeply practical, risk-focused, and conscious of business and control partners’ needs
- Strong team player skills in order to guide organizational change and collaborate with key partners across various levels
We'd love to see:
- Experience interacting directly with global regulators
- International experience, especially in Europe or Asia
- Experience working at one or more financial services regulators
- Familiarity with financial markets and products including trading platform and operations
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know that the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at: https://www.bloomberg.com/company/what-we-do/
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 180,000 - 210,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus