Head of Consumer Mobile and Web Engineering
New York, NY
Posted Jan 4, 2019 - Requisition No. 72773
Who We Are
Bloomberg Media empowers global business leaders with breaking news, expert opinion and proprietary data distributed on every platform, across every time zone reaching over 80 million unique visitors a month through its digital properties. Like our products and solutions- our teams are agile, dynamic, and innovative. We work hard, and we work fast - while keeping up the quality and accuracy for which we're known for. It's what keeps us inventing and reinventing, all the time. Our culture is wide open, just like our spaces. We challenge each other. And through our countless volunteer projects, we help bring out the best in our communities around us, too.
The Consumer Digital Engineering team builds and manages the web and native mobile applications and supporting systems that deliver market-moving news, data, audio & video to our consumer audience. Our purpose is to understand our users’ needs, build systems that scale and offer industry-leading reliability and performance, utilizing modern technology to create industry leading experiences while embracing Bloomberg’s engineering values.
We are seeking a Head of Consumer Mobile and Web Engineering, who will be responsible for leading our team of talented engineers to work with Media’s product managers, other business stakeholders, and internal engineering teams to create great products, while at the same time looking for ways to further optimize the engineering and product development process. You will be a key member of the Digital leadership team and as such will help to continue to cultivate an environment that motivates, attracts and retains great engineers, while encouraging collaboration, innovation, and execution. Your areas of ownership will include consumer facing products such as Bloomberg.com and iOS and Android Mobile apps. Bloomberg.com gets over 50 million viewers a month. You will be responsible for managing scale, vendor partnerships and budget planning for the group.
You will need to have:
- Demonstrated expertise in Computer Science fundamentals and building highly scalable and performant web-based applications.
- Deep understanding and experience of modern web application architectures operating in a 24 x 7 environment.
- Track record of building and managing strong engineering teams by recruiting, mentoring software engineers and engineering leaders.
- Experience operating engineering teams in a fast paced, dynamic agile environment and a consistent track record of delivery.
- Demonstrated experience partnering, collaborating, and communicating with engineering and non-engineering partners.
- Proven business insight skills with experience in the development and alignment to budgets and working with third parties.
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
We will trust you to:
- Work cross functionally with stakeholders and your teams to achieve results.
- Collaborate with the Head of Product to create and communicate the vision, high level roadmap & technical strategy, while working with engineering managers to align engineering resources and teams as appropriate.
- Collaborate and build relationships with internal engineering teams to leverage infrastructure and services already in place.
- Manage and coach Engineering Managers and Leads to be effective leaders of their people and teams and ensure that that they are mentoring and managing teams effectively towards results, while developing their people and managing their performance.
- Build a culture that rewards strategic failure, as well as success and embraces continuous learning and improvement.
We’d love to see:
- Previous experience in the Media industry.
- Understanding of best practices for cloud computing.
- Experience with subscription management, paywall and ad integration.