IP/ Commercial Counsel
New York, NY
Posted Apr 27, 2022 - Requisition No. 102993
Bloomberg's Legal & Compliance Department plays a critical role in supporting our businesses and operations around the world. We move quickly and thoughtfully to help address a variety of complex legal and regulatory issues that come with being the world's leading financial news and information company. Our team is made up of talented and hardworking professionals who think creatively and work collaboratively in an open environment to deliver results, drive innovation, and solve difficult problems. Diversity and inclusion are essential to our success, and we strive to maintain an environment where our employees are empowered to make an impact. We also recognize the value and importance of giving back to our communities, as evidenced by our award-winning pro bono program!
You will be part of a team responsible for working on a variety of intellectual property and commercial matters, including IP enforcement, brand protection and contracts. The team directly advises and works closely with various teams within Bloomberg to achieve internal clients' objectives, and collaborates with other counsel to identify and minimize risk.
We'll trust you to:
- Provide legal advice and counsel to internal clients, including in the area of data collection, brand protection and domain management
- Serve as a trusted business partner in identifying, and advising on, business risks in relation to intellectual property and commercial matters
- Draft documentation in connection with Bloomberg’s intellectual property enforcement efforts (e.g., cease and desist notices and filings)
- Monitor and protect the Bloomberg brand, including with respect to the various social media channels
- Draft, review, analyze and negotiate a variety of agreements
- Stay up to date on emerging case law in the area of copyrights and trademarks
You'll need to have:
- At least 3 years of relevant experience practicing law
- Experience working on intellectual property and brand protection matters
- Experience drafting and negotiating contracts
- Strong communication and organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple projects and clients
- The ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of other subject areas, often across regions and time zones and to think strategically
- The ability to build and maintain strong client relationships
- Willingness to learn and stay up to date with emerging case law
- Membership in the New York bar
We'd love to see:
- Experience working in house at a financial or technology company
- An understanding of the legal and business aspects of data, financial information, and/or technology- related products and services
- Knowledge of data privacy/data security
- Familiarity with recent legislation impacting the area of intellectual property as applied to data
- Desire to thrive in a diverse, collaborative, open-plan environment
- Provide concise and commercially-focused advice in a dynamic, ever-changing workplace
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.