Infrastructure System Reliability Engineer
New York, NY
Posted Mar 1, 2017 - Requisition No. 57262
Bloomberg is the premiere provider of data. We combine news and data from more than 80,000 news wires, 4,000 FX feeds and 370 exchanges around the world – totaling more than 60 billion ticks a day. Our technology allows our customers to exchange more than 300 million messages and nearly 17 million instant chats daily. We build real-time software for high impact systems that is core to the Bloomberg infrastructure. We process market data from around the world, driving the majority of downstream Bloomberg applications. We address the market demand for low-latency solutions by delivering the world's most reliable, timely and accurate financial data.
What’s your role in this? As an Infrastructure System Reliability Engineer (SRE) at Bloomberg, you’ll ensure that our large-scale distributed systems are scalable, monitored, automated and performing optimally. We’ll expect you to own our production environment – from the initial design phases to ensuring continuous high availability, so you should be comfortable working alongside other engineers to help fix and debug issues with the production environment. You will use your demonstrated programming and systems experience and a variety of technologies (including open-source) to tackle critical problems and help us scale. You’ll be embedded in the team, and you’ll dig deep into performance, scalability, capacity and reliability problems to help us resolve them.
We’ll trust you to:
- Troubleshoot and debug run-time issues
- Automate operation, installation and monitoring of the ecosystem components/platforms
- Implement OS and hardware level optimizations
- Provide operations documentation to educate peer teams
- Design and deploy solutions for problems such as high availability, elastic load distribution and high throughput
- Focus on automation: this includes automating deployment and configuration management, quality (including functional and capacity testing), and reaction to problems
You’ll need to have:
- 3+ years of experience programming in Python or Ruby
- Demonstrated experience working with Linux systems
- Familiarity with GIT
- Familiarity with configuration management tools such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible or Saltstack
Whether it's building Solr infrastructure, working on our cloud platform, or expanding enterprise telemetry, we'll match you with the SRE team that's best suited for your skills, interest and expertise.
Some of the specialized skills we like to see are:
- Familiarity with monitoring tools such as Splunk, Elk, Grafana, Nagios
- Practical knowledge of networking such as TCP/UDP/IP
- Familiarity with virtualization technologies such as Vagrant, Terraform, VMWare, KVM
- Knowledge of cloud technologies such as OpenStack, AWS, Rackspace, CloudFoundry, OpenShift, WS02
- Experience with big data technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, Cassandra
- Familiarity with containerization technologies such as Docker, Mesos, Core OS, Kubernetes
If you’re interested in joining one of our SRE teams then submit an application and we’ll work with you to determine the best match for your background and interests.