Kubernetes DBA - Database Infrastructure Platform Team (Consultant)
New York, NY
Posted Feb 20, 2019 - Requisition No. 73709
Bloomberg runs on data. It's our business and our product. From the biggest banks to the most elite hedge funds, financial institutions need timely, accurate data to capture opportunities and evaluate risk in dynamic markets. In order to provide this level of service and reliability, we are building a modern infrastructure platform. Working in a talented multi-disciplinary team, you will be responsible for the research, development, and stability of a new Database as a Service platform. This role offers the ability to innovate and invent, helping define the technical foundations of this essential platform. Our platform is built on a modern container orchestration, streaming and data storage platforms and provides a working base which engineers can quickly perform the analysis and build the tools they need to ensure stability and security of our infrastructure.
The Database Infrastructure Platform team is responsible for providing Database-as-a-Service (DBaaS) platform to various RDBMs systems such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, DB2, and SQL Server. As a member of this new team you will be instrumental in all aspects of building a modern platform for delivering monitoring/alerting, anomaly detection and real-time analysis infrastructure in conjunction with our database engineering teams.
What's in it for you:
You'll have the opportunity to make key technical decisions which will bring this platform into the future. You'll be able to apply your existing knowledge while gaining experience from working with specialists in various databases, kubernetes, and os engineering. You'll have the opportunity to make a meaningful impact on the overall database infrastructure platform capabilities.
How we give back:
This new team will make extensive use of open source software. As part of that, we make a commitment to upstreaming features we'll be developing. Whether pushing bug-fixes upstream, developing new features, giving presentations at conferences and meetups, or collaborating with industry leaders, open source will be at the heart of this team. It's not just something we do in our free time, it is how we work.
We’ll trust you to:
- Collaborate with database engineering personnel to understand their software and data needs
- Help design new DBaaS platform on Kubernetes
- Automate operation, installation, and monitoring of database management system components in our infrastructure stack
You’ll need to be able to:
- Gather requirements and synthesize software solutions to meet them
- Provide developer and operational documentation
- Troubleshoot and debug run-time issues
- Provide performance analysis and capacity planning for clusters
- Be organized and multitask in a faced paced environment
You’ll need to have:
- 3+ years experience programming in Java, Go, Python
- Strong experience working with/in containerized environments using Docker, Kubernetes
- 2+ years systems configuration and automation experience (e.g. Ansible, Chef, Puppet, SaltStack -- error handling, idempotency, configuration management)
- 2+ years Linux systems experience (Ubuntu, Debian experience preferred, ideally conversant in Unix networking and C system calls)
We’d love to see:
- Experience with Santa, sysmon
- Experience working with various relational database systems such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle, DB2 etc.
- Open source involvement such as a well-curated blog, accepted contribution, or community presence