Legal Data Specialist (12 month contract)
New York, NY
Posted Sep 13, 2022 - Requisition No. 108533
The energy of a newsroom, the pace of a trading floor, the buzz of a recent tech breakthrough; we work hard, and we work fast - while keeping up the quality and accuracy we're known for. It's what keeps us inventing and reinventing, all the time. Our culture is wide open like our spaces. We bring out the best in each other through collaboration. Through our countless volunteer projects, we also help network with the communities around us, too. You can do amazing work here. Work you couldn't do anywhere else. It's up to you to make it happen.
What’s the role?
Bloomberg’s Legal Department plays a critical role in supporting our businesses and operations around the world. We move quickly and thoughtfully to help address a variety of complex legal issues that come with being the world’s leading financial news and information company. Our team is made up of talented and hardworking professionals who think creatively and work collaboratively in an open environment to deliver results, drive innovation, and solve difficult problems. We also recognize the value of diversity and inclusion in cultivating a supportive workplace and the importance of giving back to our communities as evidenced by our award-winning pro bono program.
The Legal department is supporting the implementation of a comprehensive internal contract clause library. Our contract templates will be digitalized by categorizing and annotating all legal and commercial terms for the purpose of using the data in a machine learning model using AI (Artificial Intelligence). The clause library will improve the tracking of clauses in templates while producing efficiencies in the new template creation process. It will also support the metadata to automatically feed to downstream systems (such as SAP), which will enable sophisticated search functionality and improve management reporting.
Based in New York, you will be an integral part of the Bloomberg Legal Department, working closely with Legal Negotiations & Operations colleagues. This role will allow you to blend your experience and passion for the law with technology, business and data analysis. You will be responsible for applying robust business and legal contract knowledge, project management skills and sharp attention to details to annotate, analyze and evaluate legal datasets within our contractual provisions. Your work will be essential to supporting the future development of our contract repository that uses Artificial Intelligence and machine learning to teach our systems how to read and interpret our contracts to extract information to help enhance internal systems and workflows. You will also work closely with our Engineering colleagues to help drive the systems development and ensure data accuracy.
We'll Trust You To:
- Correctly identify, categorize, and annotate a wide variety of contractual terms across a range of Bloomberg products and services.
- Review high volumes of customer contract templates using proprietary tools.
- Track and maintain progress using tools such as Microsoft Excel.
- Meet deadlines and diligently decide when to escalate to the project team for discussion.
- Fully understand the project vision, identify process and technology improvement opportunities, and provide continuous feedback.
- Test and provide feedback on new AI/NLP functionality.
You’ll Need To Have:
- A Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- Experience in annotating/categorizing legal and commercial contractual terms and conditions
- Experience with legal technology platforms
- An understanding of legal clauses within technology or financial industry contracts
- An ability to swiftly and diligently process data
- Superb attention to detail
- Self-motivation and a superb work ethic to work both independently with limited supervision, as well as in a team environment
- Logical thinking as well as excellent analytical, project management, problem-solving, and investigative skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
We'd Love To See:
- A self-starter who is proactive, independent and solution driven
- Curiosity about technology and the development of technical skills
- An enthusiastic teammate, who is reliable, has a positive can-do attitude and is receptive to, and actions feedback
- Someone who enjoys an innovative, challenging and ever changing environment
- A quick learner who thrives in a fast paced environment
- An interest in machine learning and artificial intelligence
- A background in reviewing licensing contracts
Does this sound like you???
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at: https://www.bloomberg.com/company/what-we-do/
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.?
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 45 - 55 USD Hourly