New York, NY
Posted Jun 13, 2019 - Requisition No. 75568
The energy of a newsroom. The pace of a trading floor. At Bloomberg, we connect decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas. At the core of this network is our ability to deliver data, news and analytics through innovative technology – quickly and accurately. Around the clock, around the globe – we empower business leaders with breaking news, expert opinion and proprietary data distributed across platforms.
Our U.S. legal team breaks news on and provides insight into the highest profile civil and criminal cases that can determine the fates of Wall Street, the White House, corporate America and more. We are looking for an experienced editor who is calm under pressure and adept at translating complicated legal concepts into readily understandable prose that cuts to the heart of why any given case matters to the Bloomberg reader. Any given day could involve a surprise arrest of a titan of industry or Congressman, a verdict that threatens a company’s core product, or a sordid investment scam. We need you to make sure our headlines are sharp, while also being fair- and that they grab readers’ attention. We will trust you to translate legalese so we give both the expert and general-interest reader the heart of what a case is about and why they should care about it.
We also want your creative ideas on new ways to tell these stories – it’s not just about the breaking news, but also why it matters now. We will trust you to be an editor that is flexible enough to envision how best to tell each story – whether through an analysis piece, a Q&A, a graphic, or a multi-part series. We want you to be ready to jump in with new ideas and eager to collaborate across teams to meld the best of our legal reporters’ expertise with the beat reporter’s knowledge of why a case matters so every story gives readers the sharpest insight.
We’ll trust you to:
- Edit spot news and enterprise stories to ensure the writing is clear, engaging and accurate.
- Guide news judgment on the trade beat to ensure we’re focusing on the issues that matter to investors, business leaders, and broader consumers.
- Assist in the creation of charts and other visual displays of data that help make stories more accessible to our audience.
- Seek out opportunities for innovation while maintaining the highest standards for accuracy and speed.
- Be a versatile player-coach in order to support news curation on the courts.
- Help reporters contribute across a variety of Bloomberg platforms and formats, such as television, radio, the Web and Businessweek magazine.
- Work under tight deadlines and collaborate with reporters and editors across many bureaus.
- Have awareness of the major news stories on Wall Street, at companies, and in government and how they interact - or may interact- with the legal world.
You’ll need to have:
- 5 or more years of business journalism experience.
- A Bachelor’s or advanced degree in Law, Finance, Economics, Journalism or related field.
- Ability to interpret complex legal developments quickly, and simplify them for a broad audience.
- Networking skills with a track record of beat reporting in order to lean on existing sources and develop new ones to get deal terms and deliver intelligent, high-impact news.
- Generated exclusive breaking news, incremental deal updates, and well as bigger picture stories.
- Ability to work closely with reporters in real-time breaking news situations.
- Mental agility, enabling you to effectively collaborate and prioritize tasks and requests in our fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Sound news judgement and a strong sense of urgency.
- An ability to nurture sources and work across teams and platforms.
Does this sound like you?
Apply! We’ll get in touch and let you know what the next steps are.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.