Metals & Mining Reporter
New York, NY
Posted Jul 2, 2019 - Requisition No. 75888
The energy of a newsroom. The pace of a trading floor. At Bloomberg, we connect decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas. At the core of this network is our ability to deliver data, news and analytics through innovative technology – quickly and accurately. Around the clock, around the globe – we empower business leaders with breaking news, expert opinion and proprietary data distributed across platforms.
We are looking for an experienced reporter to join our Metals and Mining team in New York. In this role, we’ll trust you to report on physical metal markets in the Americas - as well as provide insight into global trends that influence trading decisions for futures and derivatives. You’ll need to have experience analyzing metal markets around the world. You will also need to possess in-depth knowledge of the dynamics of global supply and demand. As always sources are key. You are someone with deep relationships and contacts within the trading community, as well as with the largest producers and consumers of copper, zinc, aluminum, nickel, lead and tin. You understand this audience, and you know how to write meaningful stories accordingly.
As a valued member of our team, you will be responsible for breaking market-moving news on prices, supply, and demand. You will craft compelling narratives that explain the significance of granular market moves to a global audience.
We'll trust you to:
- Cover metals trading, including price trends on the Comex and LME, as well as premiums and scrap discounts.
- Build stories based on arbitrage opportunities and signs of tightness or glut that appeal to a general audience.
- Analyze fund flows to write compelling stories on investor appetite for metals.
- Collaborate with other reporters and editors around the world.
- Tell stories on multiple platforms.
- Plan ahead for news events and opportunities.
- Be committed to the highest standard of editorial practices, and display sound judgment.
- Have a proactive approach to each day, and willingness to learn.
You'll need to have:
- 3 or more years of experience reporting on base metal markets.
- Understanding of commodity markets and how they function.
- A Bachelor’s or advanced degree.
- Ability to produce quality writing quickly, and accurately.
- Interest in data, and ability to communicate through data.
- Experience telling stories across various platforms, such as television, radio, digital, and print.
- Empathy for our audience. You know a good story when you see one, and you know what our readers care about.
- A positive, and can-do attitude.
We’d love to see:
- Native fluency or professional proficiency in Chinese, Spanish, or Portuguese.
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.