News Automation Content Engineer
New York, NY
Posted Jan 21, 2022 - Requisition No. 90296
Bloomberg News is the predominant force in the business of serious financial market news. Our clients are financial market professionals and the decision makers of corporations and government. We quickly deliver market-moving news through the Bloomberg terminal on mobile, web and by downstream syndication. Our latest generation of news automation showcases the awesome potential of our real-time market data to react instantly to market events and break the news.
Do you want to be part of our growing team as we take on the challenge of uncovering signals hidden in large sets of real-time data and getting the news out to our clients before the competition? If so, keep reading.
What's in it for you:
You'll join and contribute to a crucial area of Bloomberg News. The automations you build will generate real-time stories on the Bloomberg production news wires accessible to all of our clients. You will work with an excellent team of experienced journalists who are highly regarded within the financial market and technologists who are at the top of their game.
Not only will you use the best technologies and our most updated automation platform, but you will help determine the future vision of the News product and develop new capabilities of the automation platform itself. You will gain exposure to the full spectrum of our financial, economic and environmental data, and help craft standards for a new way of breaking news.
We'll trust you to:
- Be responsible for writing scripts and configuring triggers that will generate automated stories
- Develop strong working relationships with your counterparts in Product and Engineering
- Follow and continuously improve our team's design, coding and testing standards - everyone in the team is expected to push the team’s practices forward
You'll need to have:
- Fluency in Python and working knowledge of standard libraries and PEP standards
- An aptitude for problem solving and a general understanding of the art of software engineering
- Good communication skills - you will be working closely with journalists, product and software development teams
- BA or BS in a related field
We'd love to see:
- Experience or education in journalism
- Experience with coding for a production environment
- An interest in how data underpins the world's financial systems
- An understanding of statistics
If this sounds like you, please apply! We'll get in touch with you to let you know the next steps. We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.