Opinion Visual Journalist/Developer
New York, NY
Posted Oct 20, 2023 - Requisition No. 121011
Bloomberg Opinion is seeking a Visual Journalist with strong front-end development skills to lead our visual storytelling efforts and build interactive experiences around data and analysis.
In this role, you’ll combine your skills in data, design and front-end development to engage users on the most important questions of the day. You’ll bring strong news judgment to every story – and all the technical skills needed to implement your ideas. Helping readers understand news events through charts, maps and creative data visualization is the goal, day in and day out.
Your work will reach audiences who deeply value data-driven journalism, from the subscribers of the Bloomberg Terminal and Bloomberg.com to the millions that we reach on Instagram, Twitter/X and TikTok.
Our team is highly collaborative and we value people who are motivated to work with others and pitch in when news breaks. You don’t have to be an expert at everything, but you should have a skillset that enables you to tell creative and bold visual stories. We welcome experience with mapping, 3D, motion graphics, illustration, or any creative technology that helps us explore innovative narrative forms.
WE’LL TRUST YOU TO:
- Rely on your exceptional curiosity, technical prowess and design sensibilities to create compelling visual stories
- Develop and produce original, compelling data visualizations across platforms and devices
- Design full digital experiences, visual elements and user interfaces
- Collaborate with team members to see through coverage of stories important to Bloomberg Opinion readers, including timely graphics driven by planned and unplanned news events and in-depth explanatory data visualizations
- Possess interest in topics core to Bloomberg Opinion coverage — including finance, markets, economics and government policy, among others — and an eagerness to develop subject-matter expertise in these areas
YOU’LL NEED TO HAVE:
- Visual design skills with an understanding of layout, typography and user experience and familiarity with design software such as Adobe Creative Cloud
- Experience in data reporting, e.g. the ability to collect, manage, munge, explore and analyze data from various sources and formats using R, Python, or other programmatic methods
- Prior newsroom experience is preferred but not required
If you think you'd be a good fit to join us, submit an application and include a resume, a brief letter telling us about yourself and a portfolio that demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of data journalism, graphic design and development. Include a link to your Github account if you have one.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (mailto:AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net) (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (mailto:EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net) (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (mailto:APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net) (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 115,000 - 140,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus