Payroll Tax and Compliance Team Leader - US & Canada - Finance and Administration
New York, NY
Posted Nov 2, 2023 - Requisition No. 121366
The energy of a newsroom, the pace of a trading floor, the buzz of a recent tech breakthrough; we work hard, and we work fast - while keeping up the quality and accuracy we're known for. It's what keeps us inventing and reinventing, all the time. Our culture is wide open, just like our spaces. We bring out the best in each other through teamwork. Through our countless volunteer projects, we also help network with the communities around us, too. You can do outstanding work here. Work you couldn't do anywhere else. It's up to you to make it happen.
What’s the role?
At Bloomberg Finance we are committed to delivering extraordinary support to our business partners by providing insight on business performance, financial oversight and thought leadership.
We are looking for an experienced Payroll Tax and Compliance Team Leader to join our New York based colleagues. You will be a part of a client-focused team delivering pay to employees in the US and Canada. Our payrolls encompass multiple currencies and are managed in internal systems.
You will take a strategic lead for all regional wage and tax reporting, ensuring accuracy, timeliness and compliance through the research, development and administration of efficient payroll policies and operating procedures. The organization and team will engage you in matters that require complex judgments and solutions based on sophisticated analytical thought.
We'll trust you to:
- Manage a team of two Payroll Tax Analysts by providing leadership, coaching, development, and technical guidance, as needed
- Oversee payroll tax for the US (~14,000 employees), Canada (~80 employees) and ex-pats working abroad (~500 employees), ensuring wage and tax accuracy
- Handle year-end W-2 file reconciliation (US) and T4 and RL-1 file reconciliation (Canada)
- Review all tax balance adjustments, quarterly filings, and amendments, W-2c’s, FICA adjustments and other related reporting requirements
- Oversight of our short-term business visitor program. including assisting in implementing new policies and procedures in order to properly withhold and report wages and tax
- Responsible for the taxation of fully remote workers and the setup within the payroll system while providing ongoing support and guidance to HR
- Assist in processing annual bonus apportionment for domestic and international transfers, remote workers, and short-term business travelers
- Consult with third party tax advisors to obtain, document, and apply guidance
- Review PeopleSoft tax bundles and coordinate installation with the internal Engineering Team and manage testing to ensure compliance
- Leverage the Agile Scrum methodology to organize and prioritize team workload and coordinate projects and interrupts
- Establish relationships and collaborate with internal and external business partners and vendors
- Verify departmental transactions align with the company’s and tax authorities’ best practices and policies
- Recommend system improvements and ensure accurate process documentation is available
- Oversee all audits involving payroll tax related items
You'll need to have:
- A minimum of 10 years' payroll tax experience is required at a multi-state company of at least 5,000 employees in a people management capacity
- Bachelor’s degree, or higher, in Finance, Accounting, Economics or related discipline
- Solid understanding of US and Canada taxation, legislation, labor laws and benefit plans
- Prior experience with the PeopleSoft payroll system and ADP SmartCompliance
- Intellectual curiosity through professional training, advanced degree or professional impact
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and able to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to execute according to defined timelines with an "all hands on deck" mentality
- Ability to build partnerships, listen to customers and develop practical, supportable and efficient solutions to meet customer needs
- Demonstrated ability to drive process improvements and assist with special projects, as needed
- Solid understanding of payroll auditing procedures and best practices with demonstrated controls experience
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; written and verbal
- Ability to work in a fast paced, customer focused environment with the ability to quickly shift priorities
We'd love to see:
- CPP or CPA credential
- Knowledge of Agile Scrum methodology and online tool (Jira) experience
- PeopleSoft Query Manager experience
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are!
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 185,000 - 205,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus