Real-time Distribution Platform Technical Product Manager
New York, NY
Posted May 8, 2018 - Requisition No. 66967
Every day, over 5,000 engineers at Bloomberg rely on us to build the infrastructure required for their applications. We build middleware: The foundation necessary for creating large scale, fault tolerant applications distributed on thousands of machines around the world. We fulfill the needs of our client teams, using a variety of programming paradigms such as RPC, publish/subscribe, and message queues.
With Bloomberg Engineering and external clients alike depending on our infrastructure solutions, the Real-time Distribution Platform (RDP) has grown from supporting a single product to being a pillar of Bloomberg’s application development and nearly every high profile client facing product that Bloomberg offers. As the central market data distribution system of the company, we are at the heart of every financial application on the Terminal that monitors in real-time, and that only scratches the surface of what our system is used for.
Where you come in:
We are looking for a senior-level technical product manager. As part of this dynamic team, you will be responsible for defining and championing the engineering-focused vision and roadmap for RDP. As our system grows, and we shift from being solely focused on the development of components to a full-fledged service provider, we have decisions to make and about what technology we use, how we give our clients a unified and excellent experience, and, ultimately, how we scale up to be a system that can be adopted by every application that can benefit from our infrastructure.
This position involves collaborating with stakeholders, from other engineers to the Bloomberg Management Committee, and the RDP engineering teams. It requires strong leadership skills, but does not involve people or team management.
We will trust you to:
- Work with engineer stakeholders to understand what RDP needs to support application development at Bloomberg. Develop a vision of the technology evolution strategies, and communicate the reason why behind these strategies to management committee level stakeholders.
- Maintain communication channels with stakeholders and engineering teams to create vision statements, roadmaps, and release planning forecasts. Groom the product backlog.
- Develop stories/epics to ensure that development teams focus on work items which are aligned with product strategy and deliver maximum value. Provide clear and concise acceptance criteria for user stories.
- Communicate with development teams in technical details, understand the implications of certain decisions, and make trade-offs in terms of complexity, depth or even timelines. Participate in conversations when engineers are debating the best way to implement something. Help the teams estimate more accurately.
- Make tough decisions that require making risky changes, prioritizing bugs, or even negotiating technical debt.
You'll need to have:
- A software engineering background and enough programming skills to be able to test and demonstrate the various product features yourself. We expect a working knowledge of C++, C#, or Java to experiment with our SDK.
- At least three years of Product Management experience with a track-record of collaborating with other business units and engineering teams.
- The ability to clearly articulate ideas and garner support for your initiatives.
- Excellent presentation skills including technical writing, diagramming and public speaking.
- The ability to wear many hats, depending on what a situation demands.
- Experience with Lean/Agile Software Development Life-cycle plus JIRA.