Runtime Platform SRE
New York, NY
Posted Jun 28, 2022 - Requisition No. 102488
The energy of a newsroom, the pace of a trading floor, the buzz of a recent tech breakthrough; we work hard, and we work fast - while keeping up the quality and accuracy we're known for. It's what keeps us inventing and reinventing, all the time. Our culture is wide open, just like our spaces. We bring out the best in each other through collaboration. Through our countless volunteer projects, we also help network with the communities around us, too. You can do amazing work here. Work you couldn't do anywhere else. It's up to you to make it happen.
Bloomberg's Systems Infrastructure Runtime Platform SRE team is entrusted with the end-to-end administration of Bloomberg's installation of numerous technologies providing foundational services for the firm overall and includes: RabbitMQ, Kafka, Comdb2, Redis, numerous proprietary elements and more – all of which support the applications that constitute Bloomberg’s line of products. On any given day we're inventing, engineering, developing, building, coding, trouble-shooting and maintaining a wide range of tools, monitors, frameworks, interfaces, protocols, solutions, workflows and best-practices wherein these components stitch together to form the robust suite of automated and self-healing systems that manage the services that Systems Infrastructure provides to the rest of the firm. To that end, our primary goals are to maximize uptime, provision and balance resources, architect and coordinate operational procedures, administer backup and recovery processes, coordinate maintenance windows, manage replication, oversee workflows and ensure iron-clad stability throughout the enterprise.
What's in it for you:
In addition to managing the overall Systems Infrastructure environment, you'll work directly on installations of the Bloomberg Core and Bloomberg's Runtime Services with opportunities to work on technologies like RabbitMQ, Comdb2, Kafka, Redis and more; getting to collaborate every day with the developers that create these applications and code the integration of the services they provide into the Bloomberg operational environment and ultimately Bloomberg's line of products. So, not only will you have high-level-ownership and "the classic SRE responsibilities" such as: system tuning, performance analysis, patch management, new installations, and upgrades; you'll also have immediate access to the subject matter experts that are designing and implementing the Bloomberg specific elements, APIs and methods that underlie it all. This means deep insight into and control over the lowest levels of how Bloomberg applications interact with each other and the Systems Infrastructure environment for the purposes of in-depth troubleshooting, shoring up stability, enhancing reliability, maximizing performance and extending feature-set.
We're open to trying new ideas, processes, and technologies. The right applicant will be imaginative, creative, self-motivated, and highly curious as innovation and initiative are highly valued here. Problem-solving, programming, logical frameworks, and Unix systems should all be second nature. We are looking for someone that will continually strive to improve our environment; regularly asking “why?” and saying: “we can make this better!”
Primary day-to-day responsibilities:
- Code solutions in Python, SQL, C/C++, or shell scripts to projects, bug fixes, & prototypes
- Review code committed by fellow developers
- Review and comment on design documents
- Participate in discussion at various meetings with both fellow developers and stakeholders
- Collaborate with team members
- Troubleshoot bugs reported by users
- Field inquiries and requests from production users
You need to have:
- 5+ years experience with Unix, Unix tools and shell scripting
- Experience designing and automating repeatable processes in a client/server modeled environment
- Ability to build and maintain highly complex, performant, and scalable, mission-critical systems
- Experience building monitors and alarms for system performance, status and stability
- Experience with CI/CD systems and writing robust unit and system tests
- Experience with creating and improving documented procedures and/or playbooks
We'd love to see:
- Experience analyzing existing systems and identifying shortcomings with concrete ideas for improvement
- Experience designing stable, long-lasting APIs
- Experience with Splunk/Humio and Grafana
- Experience with GitHub and JIRA.
- Passion for product ownership
If this sounds like something you would be passionate about, apply! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.