SRE - Bloomberg Query Language (BQL) Team
New York, NY
Posted Mar 30, 2020 - Requisition No. 82204
The Bloomberg Query Language (BQL) team is leading the low-latency analytics space in the financial domain. We are developing a cloud-based, low-latency Analytics and Screening Platform for huge financial data sets. We are also creating a Financial Query Language to allow users to express complex data retrieval, analytics and screening for processing on the BQL Platform, and provides screening capabilities.
We're architecting and designing the entire ecosystem for the Analytics Platform and Screener Engine. The platform leverages various technologies to enable distributed and cross-language analytics. Being a federated platform, the challenges of maintaining the stability and reliability of the system are unique and enormous. That's where you come in.
As an SRE in BQL, you'll be trusted to ensure that our production systems are healthy, monitored, automated, and designed to scale. We'll depend on you to optimize the overall reliability of our clusters through stress tests, chaos engineering, failovers and auto-recovery. You'll develop tools focusing on continuous integration, automated software releases, configuration management and system management.
As BQL product usage and features grow at a fast rate, it poses interesting challenges regarding scalability, performance and capacity monitoring.
As an SRE we’ll trust you to:
- Design, develop, and deploy applications that maintain a healthy production environment. We are accountable for monitoring, observability, intelligent alerting, incident response, change management, capacity planning, provisioning, configuration, and orchestration
- Support services throughout their lifecycle, working with component teams for system design consulting, shared component development, and release reviews
- Participate in a support escalation rotation
You’ll need to have:
- Excellent Python skills (3+ years in a production environment)
- Experience working on large-scale projects in an OO language. Experience in JAVA is highly preferred.
-Familiarity with design and implementation of large scale distributed systems
-Strong interpersonal communication skills and ability to work well in a collaborative environment
-A persevering attitude to challenge the status quo
We would love to see:
- Hands-on experience of Java programming language
- JVM tuning and profiling-Containerization technologies (like Docker, Kubernetes, Mesos)
- Applied SRE experience
- Working knowledge of data streaming and analytics platforms
- Market Data industry exposure or knowledge
If this sounds like you, apply!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.