SRE - Consumer Media
New York, NY
Posted May 4, 2018 - Requisition No. 66919
Bloomberg Media empowers global business leaders with breaking news, expert opinion and proprietary data distributed on every platform, across every time zone reaching over 80 million unique visitors a month through its digital properties. Our team builds infrastructure automation services that focus on configuration management and cloud orchestration. We play an active role in working with other infrastructure engineering teams to define the best practices of modern application and infrastructure development.
What's in it for you:
We have a clear roadmap of where we want to be, but we need your expertise in building large-scale distributed systems to develop mission-critical system infrastructure. You will be part of a team that builds the foundation to support a multi-cloud environment. We develop best practices, tools and processes that have a direct impact on how application developers at Bloomberg deploy and manage their applications on an elastic infrastructure.
We'll trust you to:
- Identify and automate developer workflows. Provide development teams self serve tools to provision infrastructure, deploy/manage applications and to manage their operational environments.
- Implement industry-wide best practices around public and private cloud infrastructure. Adopt tools and technologies like Terraform, Kubernetes that help abstract underlying infrastructure.
- Develop and maintain documentation, training and SLA for managed infrastructure and systems to socialize and be agents of change
- Work closely with development teams to evolve legacy systems with modern, Internet-scale design patterns. An example of this which the team is currently involved in is the move to Kubernetes for stateless services.
You need to have:
- 3+ years of experience working on highly available, fault-tolerant distributed systems
- A strong understanding of operating systems and the nuances of Linux
- Experience with datacenter network troubleshooting including IP fundamentals, DNS, load balancing, proxies and firewalls
- Familiarity with configuration management systems such as Chef, Puppet or Ansible
- Proficiency in at least one of the following languages: Python, Ruby, C/C++, Go or Java
- A solid understanding of the modern software development lifecycle (SDLC) processes such as Continuous Integration and delivery
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
We'd love to see:
- Expertise in analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- A deep understanding of web operations and cloud infrastructure (AWS, Azure, Google)
- Knowledge of network and application performance analysis using standard UNIX tools
- Experience with maintaining and managing a community around open source software
Does this sound like you?
Great, apply today! We want to work with others who are passionate about community-driven development both within the company and with the wider open source community.
Learn more about the work we do using the links below:
Check out more about how we work and what it means to be an SRE at Bloomberg in our blog post: https://www.techatbloomberg.com/blog/bloomberg-bets-big-on-sres/