SRE - Consumer Media
New York, NY
Posted Jun 13, 2022 - Requisition No. 90795
Bloomberg Media empowers global business leaders with breaking news, expert opinion and proprietary data distributed on every platform, across every time zone reaching over 80 million unique visitors a month through its digital properties. Our applications are built using the latest technologies, and they require modern scalable infrastructure with a high degree of automation to run efficiently. Media Infrastructure is the team responsible for orchestrating and automating our infrastructure and operational workflows to allow us to scale our business. The team is the center of excellence for all things infrastructure within Bloomberg Media, and we collaborate closely with application development teams within Media and other infrastructure teams across Bloomberg.
What’s in it for you:
You will work closely with application development teams to understand the architecture of their applications and build automation to run these applications efficiently. You will have the opportunity to contribute to the team’s internal platform-as-a-service product that provides intuitive workflows and powerful automation for other developers. Your customers depend on the platform to develop and deploy their own applications, and you will support them through thoughtful UI design, powerful automation, and innovative architectural design. You will have the opportunity to develop best practices, tools and processes to fundamentally change how we manage our application workloads. We are in a hybrid cloud environment where applications run on either the public cloud or our internal cloud. You will also build and manage mission-critical infrastructure common to multiple application teams and be able to put your entrepreneurial hat on to find new ways to abstract complexity from your fellow developers.
We’ll trust you to:
- Work with a diverse team of engineers to learn our technology and business
- Develop on and expand our internal PaaS product used to manage and deploy hundreds of application environments and dozens of clusters across private and public cloud
- Engage with your customers (application teams) to understand and automate developer workflows
- Build tools and processes to automate operational tasks allowing us to manage more applications with less effort
- Work with your customers to help them migrate applications to the public cloud. Build abstractions that allow us to migrate and run these in a hybrid cloud environment.
- Own core infrastructure such as Kubernetes clusters, load balancers, Redis clusters and more which are used by multiple application teams. Automate day-two operations as much as possible to reduce overall operational overhead.
You need to have:
- 2+ years of experience working on highly available, fault-tolerant distributed systems
- Experience managing web applications operating at scale
- Experience with infrastructure automation tools such as Terraform, Bosh, Chef, Ansible or Capistrano
- Understanding of operating systems and the nuances of Linux
- Understanding of networking fundamentals including DNS, load balancing, proxies and firewalls
- Understanding of the modern software development lifecycle (SDLC) processes such as Continuous Integration and Delivery
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
We’d love to see:
- 2+ years of experience managing web scale infrastructure using modern technologies and SRE principles
- Experience with Public Cloud (AWS, Azure, Google)
- Expertise in Kubernetes, both as a client as well as operational owner
- Expertise in analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale microservices systems
- Knowledge of network and application performance analysis using standard UNIX tools
- Experience with maintaining and managing a community around open source software
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.