Bloomberg has built the world's most trusted information network for global financial professionals. Our customers rely on the Bloomberg Terminal and enterprise data API to inform their critical business decisions. Our Market Data Systems Reliability Engineers (SREs) are software developers that harness the power of automation to manage and improve the stability, availability, and scale of our market data infrastructure.
What’s in it for you:
Our team is a development team that is modernizing the Bloomberg market data infrastructure. You will be addressing real problems with state of the art technology by developing systems and tools to uphold and improve on SLAs, improve monitoring and outage handling while continually automating manual tasks. You will work with the development teams to improve reliability, resiliency and stability in our product applications.
The environment is challenging as financial markets are ever growing and the targets continue to change so all solutions need to be scalable and extensible. You will continually learn, improve, and adapt to meet the needs of handling 100 billion market events and growing every day.
We'll trust you to:
- Develop, document and deploy reliable and scalable systems to automate the operation and management of our market data systems.
- Ensure optimal availability, latency, scalability and efficiency of real-time application development by advocating engineering reliability into the development life cycle with a focus on fault tolerant approaches
- Respond to and resolve unexpected and potential service problems, suggesting and introducing software to automate the handling of situations and prevent the same problem from reoccurring
- Drive capacity planning, performance analysis, instrumentation and other non-functional system improvements
- Review, document, influence, and participate in on-going design and architectural discussions, create and maintain standards and methods for improving operational services
You'll need to have:
- Proficiency in a high level language like Python, C++ or other object oriented languages
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices and scalable solutions experience
- Knowledge of Linux/Unix
- A strong understanding of large-scale systems architecture
- Strong communications and collaboration skills
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
We'd love to see:
- Experience with production systems managing real time data
- Proven experience in triaging and managing production issues with a focus on runbook automation
- Configuration management systems experience, e.g, Salt, Chef, Ansible
- A passion for performance excellence, robustness and engineering mindset
- Understanding of network protocols and topology
- Familiarity with containerization technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes
Check out more about how we work and what it means to be an SRE at Bloomberg in our blog post: https://www.techatbloomberg.com/blog/bloomberg-bets-big-on-sres/