SRE - Real-time Data distribution Platform (RDP)
New York, NY
Posted Jul 16, 2020 - Requisition No. 83927
At Bloomberg, our mission has always been to provide real-time data, news, and analytics to our clients quickly and accurately. Our clients are some of the biggest players in finance, and they rely on our software to manage their portfolios, analyze the markets, and make swift trading decisions that keep them ahead of the competition.
We are responsible for the efficient and timely distribution of 100s of billions of Market Data and other real-time data events to the Bloomberg Terminal, Microsoft Excel and the BLP API.
The reliability, stability, and scalability of this platform is key to our success - and that’s where our SREs come in! Our SRE team is globally distributed across New York, London, and Tokyo, and we aim to provide exceptional levels of support to the RDP organization, as well as our internal and external stakeholders.
Our charter includes (but is not limited to) capacity planning, infrastructure and configuration management, performance tuning, application/system monitoring & alerting, production change management, disaster recovery, and operational triage and response
This is a great opportunity to come join a team of experienced reliability engineers on our SRE journey. You will have the chance to create a positive mark early and continuously as you work closely with multiple development, infrastructure and client-support teams.
Who are you?
An SRE with an aptitude for analytical and creative problem solving. You can dive into the detail of complex issues quickly, and you’re excited to harness the power of automation to manage the stability, availability, and scale of our incredibly complex technology infrastructure. You’re passionate about SRE, and don’t shy away from a challenge. You’re excited by the opportunity to help drive the SRE culture across our product and company.
We’ll trust you to:
- Use all your technical skills and experience to ensure the reliability of a diverse set of systems and expand the observability of these systems
- Help configure the application, OS, network and hardware tuneables to achieve optimal performance
- Quickly grow in your technical knowledge of the technology stack – across all the systems – which lie at the center of our production environment
- Contribute to the work of the whole team, whether pair programming, peer reviewing or collaborating with the engineering and product operations teams to find the very best solution to their problems
- Drive capacity planning, performance analysis, instrumentation and other non-functional systems requirements
You’ll need to have:
- 3+ years of professional work experience in a software engineer or SRE role
- Experience in programming and scripting using Python and/or Bash
- Experience in working with any OO language - most of our stack is written in C++
- Working knowledge of Linux operating systems
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills for daily interaction with engineering and operations stakeholders
- Exposure to all phases of the software development lifecycle
We'd love to see:
- Experience in performance tuning of network and OS parameters
- Knowledge of network protocols such as TCP/IP and multicast, and experience with network programming
- Experience working on real-time middleware systems with low latency requirements (including routing, caching, and fan-out of large volumes of data)
- Experience working on diverse and complex software systems
- Experience building monitoring systems and bringing transparency to running systems
- Experience with AWS, Azure, and/or Google Cloud
- A desire to learn new technologies and apply them where appropriate to improve the quality of our software and processes
Learn how Bloomberg bets big on our SREs: https://www.techatbloomberg.com/blog/bloomberg-bets-big-on-sres/
Check out Bloomberg Engineering: www.bloomberg.com/engineering
Read about the unique problems we’re solving: www.TechAtBloomberg.com
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here: https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/software-engineering-experienced-hire/
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.