Senior Backend Engineer - Insights
New York, NY
Posted May 26, 2022 - Requisition No. 93307
IPaaS (Insights Platform As A Service) offers suggestions (known as Insights) based on the context of the client’s current workflow. Insights are a groundbreaking new way for Bloomberg users to discover relevant content in the Bloomberg terminal by surfacing difficult to discover data where and when they need it within their day-to-day workflow. Bloomberg users have the opportunity to easily and swiftly dive deeper for more context to make critical financial decisions.
The IPaaS mission is to make discovering the breadth and depth of impactful financial data available easier and quicker for finance professionals. An Insight is a carefully crafted auto-generated short sentence, similar to a well-written news headline, that communicates the bottom line without the need to read the whole story. Insights often come with clickable links, abstract text, and other metadata to provide even more information, analogous to reading the full body of a news story.
The IPaaS Backend team is primarily focused on data ingestion, scaling, stability, storage, and distribution of Insights data via various messaging technologies. Our platform’s challenge is to provide a generic framework which uses the massive breadth of Bloomberg's financial data to quickly compute insights. In the next year, we expect the ingestion pipeline to handle over 50 Million events per day and the query engine, 1M client requests per day.
What's in it for you:
We are looking for a strong backend engineer to help architect and scale IPaaS. One key challenge of IPaaS is performing calculations across many different data sets within several milliseconds for client interactions. Another key challenge is ingesting real-time data, generating relevant Insights, and delivering the resulting data set via pub-sub technology without introducing significant latency. The individual would also work with business and partners stakeholders to define both client and non-client facing features, and mentor individuals in the IPaaS organization. IPaaS currently has 40+ types of microservices written primarily in C++ and Python installed on Linux machines. In order to meet our goal of delivering millions of Insights per day, the engineer joining IPaaS would have a significant role developing novel delivery techniques using both caching and messaging technologies. Our team strongly believes in adhering to the best industry practices, innovating impactful solutions, and continuous deployment to production.
We’ll trust you to
- Collaborate within the IPaaS team, with Insights Product, and with external partners
- Take ownership of the technical direction
- Drive engineering best practices and quality
- Mentor the team members across all Insights teams
- Identify bottlenecks and design strategies to address
You’ll need to have
- Strong communication & interpersonal skills (verbal & written)
- Strong ability to understand business requests and convert into technical results deliverables
- Strong architecture and design skills
- Strong C++ and/or Python experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field, and/or related professional experience
We’d love to see
- Experience with CI/CD Technologies
- Experience with container technologies (Docker)
- Experience with large scale Indexing and Search technologies (SOLR)
- Experience with Streaming and Messaging technologies (Kafka, RabbitMQ, BLPAPI)
- Experience working in an “Agile” environment (i.e. Scrum, Kanban, PI)
- Experience working in a Linux environment
If this sounds like something you would be passionate about, please apply! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.