Senior Backend Engineer - Macro Markets and Alternative Data
New York, NY
Posted May 22, 2022 - Requisition No. 90773
As a Senior Backend Engineer in the Macro Markets & Alternative Data (MMAD) group, you will be responsible for working on high volume application servers and backend infrastructure within one of our application teams, building highly scalable products that exceed the expectations of our highly discerning users. Whether it is working on servers that get over a 100 billion requests a day, building pricing engines that process 12 billion ticks a day, or modeling datasets containing millions of time series across hundreds of concepts, sources, countries, etc. the challenges are innumerable.
While surmounting these challenges, you’ll collaborate with Product Management and other stakeholders within Engineering, UX, etc. to maintain a high bar for quality in a fast-paced, iterative environment. You will be empowered to advocate for improvements to product quality, security, and performance while recognizing impediments to our efficiency as a team, and helping propose and implement solutions. You will have the ability to craft code that adheres to high standards for style, maintainability, and SDLC best practices including CI/CD as both a programmer and a code reviewer.
Who We Are:
How can the price of oil be less than $0?
Why are unemployment numbers so important during a pandemic?
What’s the best way to see the “true” market value of Bitcoin and other crypto-currencies?
Why is monitoring the movement of ships through the Suez Canal critically important to financial markets?
If these kinds of questions pique your interest, the MMAD group in Bloomberg Engineering might be the place for you! Our teams are responsible for the ingestion, curation, enrichment, persistence, distribution, analysis and visualization of a wide variety of financial data. Commodities, Foreign Exchange, Economics, and Futures & Options are all within our realm. In addition, our BloombergNEF team provides research and data to support the power, transport, industry, buildings and agriculture sectors’ transition to a low carbon economy. On top of all of that, we're also building out a new platform for Alternative Data (that’s data that hasn’t traditionally been used by financial market professionals).
The Tech Stack(s):
Like many Bloomberg groups, we rely heavily on a number of technologies that have been developed in-house. However, we also use lots of commercial and open-source software where applicable (with our preference being for open-source, if available). Examples of some of the open source technologies we use include:
- Python and C++ for most of our code
- Postgres, Cassandra, Solr, and Hadoop for our data stores
- Kafka and RabbitMQ for low-latency, high-bandwidth messaging
- Redis and memcached for large-scale distributed caching
What’s in it for you:
- You’ll learn how some of the financial world’s most sophisticated users do their job and what role Bloomberg plays in it
- You’ll establish relationships across Bloomberg by working closely with and learning from the specialists in our product development, global data and client support departments
- As an added bonus, you’ll gain deep market knowledge in one (or more!) financial domains
You’ll need to have:
- 3+ years of experience coding in an object-oriented programming language coupled with knowledge of object-oriented design, data structures, algorithms and all phases of software development.
- Self-motivation and an aptitude for analytical problem solving
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment using agile methodologies
- Experience in delivering high performance production quality systems to clients
- Willingness to work with C++ and/or Python as your primary development language. Opportunities will be provided to develop these skills
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field, and/or related professional experience
We’d love to see:
- Financial domain knowledge and experience
- Experience with Kafka, Redis or Solr
- Experience working in a UNIX or Linux development environment
- Familiarity with developer productivity tools such as Jenkins, Splunk, etc.
- Project Leadership experience
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.