Senior Backend Engineer - Web Shared Services
New York, NY
Posted May 12, 2022 - Requisition No. 103547
The Web Shared Services team is focused on providing the backend services that power Bloomberg.com’s news and financial content for millions of daily views. These modern services blend the information of the Bloomberg Terminal with the flexibility and functionality of the Web. Whether it is authentication, financial information, API gateways, or notification services; our goal is to provide stable and feature rich services that operate at scale. We are looking for a systems thinker that is passionate about designing API’s, structuring multiple subsystems, and working with multiple product teams to deliver new functionality.
Our goal is to help consumers stay informed in a way that better fits their lives and needs. From Bloomberg Terminal services to the public cloud, we are masters of multiple systems across many different technologies. We collaborate closely with our Product and Editorial teams to make Bloomberg Media an indispensable resource for our customers. We serve millions of requests every day that support news consumption, notification systems, and financial data API’s. We are big fans of GraphQL, Scala, Java, and NodeJS. We constantly assess new technologies that allow us to do our job faster and better, as we provide content to clients around the world.
What’s in it for you:
You will gain experience working on a software architecture operating at web scale using modern technologies and design patterns, and you will help us build performant and reliable technology supporting a variety of business and engineering products. You will work closely with your Engineering and Product colleagues to design and implement performant, microservice systems. We constantly assess new technologies that allow us to do our job faster and better, as we provide content to clients around the world. You will get hands-on experience with a variety of open source technologies, and you will contribute to the team's various services deployed across both public and private cloud.
We’ll trust you to:
- Work with a diverse team of engineers to learn our technology and business
- Develop on and design scalable web services on multiple cloud platforms
- Research and propose engineering solutions and application designs leveraging the latest technologies and best practices
- Learn and harness the power of Docker, Kubernetes, and public cloud to improve our applications and develop new ones
- Contribute to team planning and roadmapping, identify opportunities to leverage or enhance our services to solve new business problems
You need to have:
- 3+ years of experience with Node.js or Java/Spring/Scala backend services
- 3+ years of experience with REST, HTTP, and DNS
- Experience with RDBMS technologies like MySQL and Postgresql
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
We’d love to see:
- Experience with Public Cloud (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Familiarity with Spring Framework, Scala, Express and Node.
- Experience with OpenAPI, GraphQL, REST API, Swagger.
- Front-end development experience (HTML, CSS, JS)
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.