Senior C++ Engineer - Unified Search Engine Application
New York, NY
Posted Apr 4, 2018 - Requisition No. 66378
The Unified Search Application team at Bloomberg is looking for an experienced C++ engineer to join us in building and enhancing a federated search and question answering application and infrastructure.
Our goal is to ensure that Bloomberg clients can find the right information as efficiently as possible. We achieve this by using a combination of intuitive search functionality and natural language query understanding that searches through millions of data points from dozens of structured and unstructured data stores and natural language question answering engines. We are pushing the boundaries of what search can do on the Bloomberg Terminal.
As a engineer in our team, you'll have the unique opportunity to learn and leverage state-of-the-art Information Retrieval techniques while building critical client-facing applications. Our team has been entrusted to come up with the vision for search on the Bloomberg terminal. Some exciting projects we plan to work on this year are:
- Expand search coverage to new domains
- Enhance search experience by improving presentation techniques for search results
- Programmatically analyze millions of user session logs to enhance search result ranking and to experiment with result personalization
- Help build natural language question answering functionality for various Bloomberg Terminal functions and make it discoverable via the federated search
We work at a unique intersection of aggressive time to market and in-depth technical research. We are pushing boundaries of what search can do in the Bloomberg Terminal. New ideas and prototypes are actively encouraged. We read and discuss research papers on a regular basis, attend conferences and collaborate with outside researchers and universities.
We are looking for engineers that can contribute to every stage of the search pipeline: from indexing to retrieval to presentation of results and answers to usage statistics gathering and analysis. An ideal candidate would have very strong software engineering skills using C++, ability to work independently and an aptitude for application development.
You'll need to have:
- 3+ years programming in C++ and proficiency with UNIX
- Proven track record of building high quality production systems
- A strong interest in Information Retrieval
We'd love to see:
- Python knowledge
- Interest in application and UI development
- Prior experience with Information Retrieval