Senior Database Engineer (Database Services)
New York, NY
Posted Nov 10, 2022 - Requisition No. 88653
Bloomberg is the industry standard for financial data. Bloomberg's software solutions depend on robust data infrastructure to provide clients with this data. Our team is designing the next generation systems for managing this piece of crucial infrastructure. Our ability to provide a DBaaS (DataBase as a Service) platform is critical to our clients ability to retrieve and analyze massive quantities of data. Ensuring our services scale, are robust, secure and reliable is where you come in.
Who we are?
The Database services team provides a database-as-a-service (DBaaS) platform that engineers depend on to drive applications throughout Bloomberg. We manage several open source (Postgres, MySQL etc) and commercial (Oracle, SQL Server etc) database options, all of which Bloomberg is heavily invested in. Our platform manages 100K+ databases and growing quickly with no end in sight. To support this scale, we are recreating our database platform with a focus on security, performance and self-service . We develop and manage the services and operational toolkits that enable application teams to easily deploy data sets and query across them. We define database development best practices and leverage our collective experience to influence Bloomberg database architecture design decisions.
Who are you?
You are a talented, highly motivated database expert who understands and enjoys designing and building large-scale systems.
You know that doing things the right way is harder and takes longer but is (almost) always worth the effort.
You are excited by open source software and want to participate in open source database communities.
We'll expect you to:
- Engineer automated and self-service solutions to database administrative tasks.
- Extend monitoring solutions to reduce the cost of managing databases at scale.
- Prioritize stability and performance among multiple competing priorities.
- Partner with application teams to achieve our business objectives.
- Promote database design best practices.
- Improve operational processes and documentation.
You need to have:
- 5+ years of database engineering experience
- Excellent understanding of databases and database design patterns
- Strong problem solving and communication skills
- Ability to debug and correct production problems
- Experience in writing and troubleshooting SQL (stored procedures, functions, tables, views, indexes, etc.)
- Ability to detect and troubleshoot Database performance issues related to issues such as CPU, memory, disk I/O and other resource contention
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
We'd love to see:
- Knowledge of distributed database systems
- Experience building applications (preferably Java or Python) that interact with databases
- Comfortable building applications with React
- Familiarity with Kubernetes and containers
- Experience working with open-source software/community (upstream accepted contribution, or community presence) is preferred
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus