Senior Distributed Systems Engineer - AIM Observability and Performance
New York, NY
Posted Feb 24, 2022 - Requisition No. 100936
Are you curious about how a hedge fund makes money or what tools a portfolio manager use to rebalance their portfolios? Do you understand the importance of observability when designing scalable distributed systems? Our team needs people like you!
The AIM (Asset & Investment Manager) Engineering team builds software for all Bloomberg-supported asset classes (equity, fixed income, swaps, commodities, options) for hundreds of institutional firms with more than $15 trillion in assets. When hedge fund managers use our applications, they have mere seconds to absorb the information on the screen and make critical decisions that move the financial markets around the world. As you can invent, scale, speed, and usability are our primary concerns while developing software.
We seek a passionate and highly self-motivated Distributed Systems Engineer to join the Position Management (PM) Applications team. The ideal candidate will have experience developing scalable distributed systems, possess good communication skills, and enjoy problem-solving independently and in team settings.
You will be responsible for:
- Working with the Position Management Engineering and Position Management product teams to define key service level objectives (SLOs) and indicators (SLIs);
- Collaborating with application, user interface, and middleware teams across Bloomberg to instrument the AIM codebase with appropriate SLIs;
- Defining best practices for system observability and promoting them throughout the AIM Engineering and Product organizations;
- Designing, building, and maintaining custom tools to streamline the implementation and troubleshooting processes.
You’ll need to have:
- Experience working in a linux-based environment;
- Solid understanding of modern application architecture and design patterns.
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field.
We'd love to see:
- Experience building tools for application development teams;
- Experience with a time series database such as InfluxDB, Graphite, or Apache Druid.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.