Senior Distributed Systems Engineer - News Application Platform
New York, NY
Posted Jul 12, 2021 - Requisition No. 89850
News moves markets, and Bloomberg champions this concept. We are the second largest producer of news in the world, and ingest more than 1.5 million news stories per day from more than 120,000 different sources including social media. Our team plays a critical role in helping users manage this deluge of information by enabling them to optimally discover, monitor, and make sense of news in the broader context of the financial market.
Who are we?
Our platforms offer critical functionalities such as monitoring out relevance ranked news, real-time content retrieval of news story metadata, search query manipulation, personalization of news, and a distributed scheduling system to deliver a variety of news alerts. These systems power some of the most hit functions in the Bloomberg Terminal. Given the high visibility and usage of the products we work on, we strive to provide highly performant, robust, and scalable distributed systems.
Our team prides itself on incorporating various technologies (such as Kafka, Redis, Redux and in-house cutting edge technologies) to help us build systems and UIs serving millions of client requests daily. You will closely collaborate with our business partners and other teams within News and AI to deliver functionalities that allow Bloomberg to adapt to the constantly evolving news ecosystem and market demands.
What’s in it for you:
You will be part of a growing, tightly knit community of 110+ engineers. This is an excellent opportunity for a motivated senior engineer to own and manage highly visible products with significant impact. You will be part of a collaborative and inclusive environment where knowledge sharing and learning are paramount. We will depend on you to lead the design and implementation of highly available platforms that cater to obstacles faced by our sister News applications teams.
We'll trust you to:
- Evaluate, design, and support complex and critical real-time systems end-to-end
- Explore new technologies and methodologies, finding the best tools for the job rather than what you know
- Take ownership and manage projects effectively to ensure clear communication around expectations, timelines, and vision with stakeholders
You'll need to have:
- 5+ years of professional work experience as a software engineer
- 5+ years of experience with C++/Java
- Interest in fullstack development
- Experience in designing and developing distributed systems and multi-threaded applications
- Sound grasp of software design principles to deliver maintainable systems
- Passionate about incorporating testing processes, continuous integration, continuous deployment, and metrics for monitoring distributed systems- A BA, BS, MS, Ph.D. in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technology field
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.