Senior Full Stack Engineer – Cryptocurrencies
New York, NY
Posted Apr 12, 2022 - Requisition No. 97634
Who We Are:
Blockchain, On-chain data, DeFi, NFTs, Stablecoins, Smart Contracts - These terms in the cryptocurrency sphere are becoming increasingly mainstream in financial markets. As ever, our clients are relying on Bloomberg to deliver relevant data, news and analytics to help them make sense of the trends, opportunities, risks and regulatory requirements associated with this new market.
The FX Infrastructure team designs, builds and maintains the core technical backbone of Bloomberg’s FX platform, which is used by hundreds of teams across Bloomberg Engineering. Our responsibilities include building the generic frameworks that form the basis for various low latency FX pricing engines, maintaining a core set of low-level APIs, and leveraging distributed computing and machine learning to analyze vast amounts of data.
In addition, our team manages the cryptocurrencies on Bloomberg Terminal. Our primary responsibilities in the cryptocurrency sphere include operating the cryptocurrency portal on the terminal, onboarding the pricing and on-chain data for various coins from cryptocurrency exchanges and aggregators, deriving our own technical indicators and seamlessly integrating this data into many downstream systems. We also play the role of trusted third-party data provider in the notoriously opaque cryptocurrency markets.
As a Full Stack Engineer in Cryptocurrencies team, you will have an opportunity to help design and build highly scalable, modular, and extensible products that constitute Bloomberg’s cryptocurrency offerings. In doing this, you’ll collaborate with a variety of partner teams including product managers to understand and improve user experience, Data On-boarding teams to ensure consistency between the data from various providers, real-time infrastructure teams to help reduce latency in our application servers, and data platform teams to maximize the efficiency of our datastores. You will be empowered to fully own entire applications and be responsible for the development of new features as well as the ongoing care of existing functionality. The role offers a unique opportunity to usher the adoption of innovative and disruptive technologies in the cryptocurrency sphere.
The Tech Stack(s):
Like many Bloomberg groups, we rely heavily on a number of technologies that have been developed in-house. However, we also use lots of commercial and open-source software where applicable (with our preference being for open-source, if available). Examples of some of the open source technologies we use include:
- Relational databases and Hadoop for our data stores
- Kafka for low-latency, high-bandwidth messaging
- Spark for distributed computing
- Avro for data serialization
- Flask as web framework
- Docker, Jenkins, GoogleTest and Doxygen for development
- You’ll have the opportunity to learn and be part of one of the fastest evolving sectors in finance: cryptocurrencies.
- You’ll develop expertise in industry standard SDLC tools and processes and act as a champion for good software practices within your team
- You’ll establish relationships across Bloomberg by working closely with and learning from the specialists in our product development, global data, and client support departments
- 4+ years of experience coding in an object-oriented programming language coupled with knowledge of object-oriented design, data structures, algorithms, and all phases of software development
- Self-motivation and an aptitude for analytical problem solving
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment using agile methodologies
- Experience in delivering high performance production quality systems to clients
- Willingness to work with C++ and/or Python as your primary development language. Opportunities will be provided to develop these skills
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field, and/or related professional experience.
What’s in it for you?
What we look for?
What we’d love to see:
- Cryptocurrency domain knowledge and experience
- Understanding of distributed computing
- Experience with Kafka, Hadoop, or Spark
- Experience working in a UNIX or Linux development environment
- Familiarity with developer productivity tools such as Jenkins, Splunk, etc.
- Project Leadership experience
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.