Senior InfoSec Data Platform Engineer
New York, NY
Posted Jan 3, 2019 - Requisition No. 72733
Bloomberg runs on data. It's our business and our product. From the biggest banks to the most elite hedge funds, financial institutions need timely, accurate data to capture opportunities and evaluate risk in dynamic markets. In order to provide this level of service and the security required to protect it, the Security Data Platform team provides a platform that transforms petabytes of structured and unstructured data such as text, time series, and events into machine-readable knowledge that fuels security-focused applications. The platform supporting all these applications is critical to our success.
That's where you come in. Working in a talented multi-disciplinary team, you will contribute to research, development, and stability of a new Information security data platform. This role offers the ability to innovate and invent, helping define the technical foundations of this essential platform. Our platform is built on a modern container orchestration, streaming and data storage platforms, and provides a working base on which information security engineers can quickly perform the analysis and build the tools they need to ensure security of our infrastructure.
Our Security Data Platform team is new and growing. We established this team to build a platform supporting the data and analytical needs of Bloomberg’s Information Security organizations. As a member, you will be instrumental in all aspects of building a modern platform for delivering monitoring/alerting, anomaly detection and real-time analysis infrastructure in conjunction with our information security teams.
What's in it for you:
You'll have the opportunity to make key technical decisions which will bring this platform into the future. You'll be able to apply your existing knowledge while gaining experience from working with specialists in stream processing, kubernetes, hadoop, and information security. You'll make a meaningful impact on our overall information security capabilities.
How we give back:
This new team will make extensive use of open source software. As part of that, we make a commitment to upstreaming features we'll be developing. Whether pushing bug-fixes upstream, developing new features, giving presentations at conferences and meetups, or collaborating with industry leaders, open source will be at the heart of this team. It's not just something we do in our free time - it is how we work.
We’ll trust you to:
- Collaborate with information security personnel to understand their software and data needs
- Design and deploy solutions to ingest, understand and present security related data
- Automate operation, installation, and monitoring of system components in our infrastructure stack
You’ll need to be able to:
- Gather requirements and synthesize software solutions to meet them
- Provide developer and operational documentation
- Troubleshoot and debug run-time issues
- Provide performance analysis and capacity planning for clusters
- Be organized and multitask in a fast-paced environment
You’ll need to have:
- 3+ years experience programming in Java, Go, Scala, Python
- 3+ years experience working with Hadoop technologies such as HDFS, Hive, HBase
- 3+ years experience working with Apache Kafka or other message queuing systems
We’d love to see:
- Experience working with/in containerized environments using Docker, Kubernetes, Swarm, Rancher, Mesos
- Experience with OSQuery, Santa, sysmon
- Experience writing parsers/schemas for semi-structured and unstructured content
- Experience using and automating Splunk queries and integrations
- Experience working with authentication and authorization systems such as Kerberos and LDAP
- Open source involvement such as a well-curated blog, accepted contribution, or community presence
If this sounds like you, apply! You can also learn more about our work using the links below: