Senior Infrastructure Engineer - Advanced Compute and Data Infrastructure
New York, NY
Posted Nov 2, 2022 - Requisition No. 111149
Bloomberg runs on data. It's our business and it's our product. It's why thousands of companies partner with us. We've surpassed petabytes of data, with no end in sight.
We provide the infrastructure that supports core data services including Bloomberg’s Data Science and Machine Learning platform, search infrastructure, and various others. Our challenges span both software and hardware and the scale we work on is massive.
Our team is responsible for modern cutting edge infrastructure at Bloomberg. We’re depended upon to manage the deployment, configuration, and operation of systems that power the data backend of Bloomberg. On our team, you’ll have the ability to truly innovate and invent, helping define the technical foundations of groundbreaking systems. Using containerization and kubernetes on leading-edge hardware, including GPU's and DNN-specific hardware, we build systems that rival super-computing platforms across the world.
We’ll trust you to:
- Design, build, and automate new solutions based on leading containerization orchestration technologies.
- Be responsible for solutions which maintain configuration and robustness of systems.
- Analyze performance, metric placement and interpretation, and capacity planning.
- Troubleshoot and debug runtime issues with software and hardware.
- Execute OS and hardware level optimizations.
- Interact with platform developers to understand and validate their workflows, requirements, application performance, and application resilience.
What’s in it for you:
- An opportunity to make key technical decisions which help define the future of data and analytics infrastructure platforms.
- The chance to apply your existing experience while gaining cutting edge new experience in kubernetes, containerization, GPU's, Data Science, and distributed database systems.
- Your solutions will drive new functionality within the Bloomberg Terminal and other client interfaces - direct drivers of financial decisions around the world.
You need to have:
- 2+ years systems configuration and automation experience (e.g. Ansible, Chef, Puppet, SaltStack -- error handling, idempotency, configuration management).
- 2+ years Linux systems experience (Ubuntu/Debian experience preferred, ideally conversant in Unix networking and C system calls).
- Experience in troubleshooting network issues from the host side, and ideally an understanding of container networking technologies.
- Proven experience in a programming and/or scripting language (e.g. python, go, java, ruby).
- A strong familiarity with Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment methodologies, chat-ops, etc.
- Proven experience building and scaling out mission-critical, elastic, load distributed, and high throughput systems.
We’d love to see:
- Experience with networking is a plus (e.g. packet analysis, routing protocols).
- Open Source experience is a plus (a well curated blog, upstream accepted contribution or community presence).
- Experience with Kubernetes.
- Private and public cloud experience (OpenStack, AWS, GCP).
How we give back:
This team will make extensive use of Open Source Software. As part of that, we make a commitment to upstreaming features we'll be developing within Kubernetes and its ecosystem. Whether pushing bug-fixes upstream, developing new features, giving presentations at conferences/meetups or collaborating with industry leaders, Open Source will be at the heart of this new team. It's not just something we do in our free time - it is how we work.
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
In the meantime, check us out at http://www.techatbloomberg.com/
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus