Senior Infrastructure Engineer - Distributed Analytics
New York, NY
Posted Feb 5, 2019 - Requisition No. 73495
Bloomberg's applications teams face complex challenges - large-scale data storage, low-latency retrievals, high-volume requests, and high availability over a distributed environment to name a few. And it's our goal to create standardized solutions to these challenges by building core services and technology frameworks for all teams.
Our Data and Analytics Platform group at Bloomberg is building an Analytics Runtime that supports distributed financial calculations. The runtime is based on Apache Spark. We are excited to grow our team.
The runtime will provide standardized building blocks that handle aspects such as data lifecycle management through connectivity to several types of data sources and service endpoints. This runtime will also provide structure to distributed applications by making libraries of distributed financial transforms available, so we can encourage standardization across domains, where it makes sense. Daily, team members consult on projects in a wide-variety of application domains and provide design and implementation guidance as well as build self-service tooling to help with the instrumentation, profiling and optimization of distributed financial applications.
We'll trust you to:
- Contribute equally to developing the Analytics Runtime as well as ensuring that applications that are built targeting this runtime are implemented with scale and extensibility in mind
- Interact with domain teams to understand specific requirements and drive the next set of features for the platform
- Meet with key players in the open source community to motivate necessary development efforts in Apache Spark and contribute code as necessary
You'll need to have:
- 3+ years of experience with Java and Python
- A good understanding of Apache Spark internal mechanics
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
We'd love to see:
- Proficiency in Scala and functional programming idioms
- Professional experience developing analytics infrastructure
- Open source contributions of any sort
If this sounds like you, submit an application and watch our Spark Summit talks to learn more about some of the ideas that underpin our Analytics Runtime: