Senior Java Developer - Search Infrastructure
New York, NY
Posted Aug 20, 2018 - Requisition No. 68833
Our Search Infrastructure team provides a Search as a Service platform supporting search capabilities across all application verticals in our firm. We develop and manage infrastructure, services, interfaces, and operational toolkits that make it easy for application teams to deploy data sets, query across them, and develop search-related products.
Our search platform is built on the top of Apache Solr and is integrated into the Bloomberg technology stack. We work to optimize and improve performance of the search engine, review and add new features as needed by our customers, and strive to contribute back to the open-source projects that are used (Apache Solr/Zookeeper/etc.). Our team is constantly engaged in the design, development, and implementation for some of the most demanding and challenging search applications in the company. This is where you come in.
You are a talented and motivated engineer with an interest in search, looking for a tight-knit, collaborative team. You will work closely with the Apache Solr backend to develop and extend the service platform, improving its usability, reliability, and scalability. You'll also help us to improve and automate the administration/management of our platform offerings.
Our current initiatives include:
- Scaling our platform management software to support an order of magnitude more content and hardware than it currently manages
- Developing new APIs to offer higher performance analytics over search results
- Enhancing and extending our search federation platform to add new content sources and integrate machine learned ranking models
You'll need to have:
- 3+ years’ experience in Java development and associated technologies (Spring/Jmx/JDBC)
- Working knowledge of modern development methodologies and tools (Jenkins/Maven/Jira)
- Solid understanding of algorithms and data structures, knowledge of object-oriented design, and multi-threaded programming
- Strong problem solving and communication skills
- Knowledge of scripting languages such as Python
- Experience working with open-source software/community (upstream accepted contribution, or community presence)
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
We are active members of the Solr community (3 committers), contributing numerous features, performance enhancements and bug fixes. We've contributed a search analytics component (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5eGPi4KjiM) and co-developed the new Streaming Expressions framework (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/otOnAw) and the XML Query Parser (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Other+Parsers#OtherParsers-XMLQueryParser).
We want to work with engineers who are passionate about community-driven development both within the company and with the wider open source community. If this sounds like you, submit an application, and learn more about the work we do using the links below: