Senior Java Engineer - Communication Channels
New York, NY
Posted Sep 5, 2019 - Requisition No. 77117
Bloomberg data moves global financial markets – but only when people can converse about that data. The Communication Channels team builds the robust infrastructure responsible for delivering real time communications between 350,000 financial professionals on the Bloomberg Professional Service.
Our software and hardware are responsible for processing 700 million email 1 Billion instant messages every single day. Stock quotes, trade confirmations, breaking news alerts, and help desk inquiries all flow through our tightly integrated communication applications, placing our team at the center of the Bloomberg universe.
Every single day we are tasked with selecting and implementing the best possible solutions to support our clients across every imaginable workflow, geographic location, and asset class. Our group’s products seamlessly link the myriad financial and data application on the Bloomberg Professional Service, making us crucial to the company’s success.
Search is a major component of our communications products. Our search infrastructure services millions of queries per day in real time. In the coming years, our search offering needs to evolve to meet the needs of our clients. Our current system relies on IDOL software and is actually one of the world's largest installations of IDOL. Solr, however, provides greater flexibility and feature and is well-supported within Bloomberg. Our goal is to build a scalable system based on top of Solr that can support our performance requirements of today and tomorrow, and can support additional features to meet our client's needs. Unlike traditional e-mail platforms, where there are many users who receive a relatively small number of e-mails, MSG serves clients who receive more than 10,000 e-mails per day. In order to give our clients better tools to find what they need and surface other meaningful information, we need to provide more than the standard search features such as keywords, recipients, and time. That's where you come in!
As part of our team, you'll roll up your sleeves, collaborate and deliver real solutions to clients across all industries.
We'll trust you to:
- Build large, scalable, real time distributed systems
- Explore Solr and other technologies to solve problems
- Collaborate with other MSG / IB teams, as well as other partners of our search system
You'll need to have:
- Experience developing and managing large real-time distributed systems
- 5+ years experience in Java development and associated technologies (Spring / Jmx / JDBC)
- Working knowledge of modern development methodologies and tools (Jenkins / Maven / Jira)
- 5+ years of experience with object-oriented design, data structures, algorithms and all phases of the SDLC
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
- An aptitude for analytical problem solving
We'd love to see:
- Experience with search systems, particularly Solr
- Programming experience in C++
- Experience developing software using agile methodologies
- Experience with open source technologies such as Kafka, Docker, Hadoop
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.